My Tenodera sinensis Enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idolofreak

Reaction score
Here's some photos of the cage my Chinese nymphs will be hatching in. It's really big. Twenty gallons with lots of branches and surfaces for the nymphs to climb on. Like I said, 82 degrees Farenheit at 50% humidity. You can see the living grass on the bottom of the cage. I actually moved the ooth higher than it is in the photos so the nymphs have room to hang down when they're hatching.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHOOPSI
huh.gif
. No pics. I really wanted to see.
detective.gif
I want to see Andrew ride the bike.
laugh.gif

If I can make a couple suggestions. I would remove the logs. They won't be much use to molting mantids. I would instead go with plants or branches that reach the top. More surface area the better that can support molting. Also, what kind of lid does it have? If it is a normal screened lid fruit flies will crawl right out. WHen I use a tank like that I first overlay a layer of fine netting/mesh and attach it down except for one corner which will be for feeding. I then set the screen lid over it to hold it down better.

If I can make a couple suggestions. I would remove the logs. They won't be much use to molting mantids. I would instead go with plants or branches that reach the top. More surface area the better that can support molting. Also, what kind of lid does it have? If it is a normal screened lid fruit flies will crawl right out. WHen I use a tank like that I first overlay a layer of fine netting/mesh and attach it down except for one corner which will be for feeding. I then set the screen lid over it to hold it down better.
The lid is actually a screen lid, but I hot glued some tight netting under it so the nymphs and fruit flies won't get out. There's a hinge on it right in the middle where you can openb it just a tiny bit to slip some food in there. BTW thanks for the suggestion about molting surface area, I'm definitely taking your advice.

I agree on the "maximize" top molting surfaces. I have a big ficus in my net enclosure and they spend all their time on the top, mesh sides and on top branches and leaves. Occasionally a mantis will go to the surface of the plant pot, but that is just because they "fish" at the fruit fly culture there.

Wyethia

Latest posts