Mystery Mantis Log

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vulturette

Reaction score
Here I'll log all the things I figure out about my two mystery mantises. most likely Liturgusa, as stated. But if so, the mystery then becomes why they were in Florida so I stick by my title! haha. Original post here. Whenever they molt, or i see any new behaviors I'll update here.

Collected: 9/9/15

Mantis 1 "Davey": L? female. Named after the city I found them in. Definitely the more aggressive one. She WAS a pre-sub, now is for sure a sub adult. Molted 9/25 with no issues. So Davey and Tony were the same instar, but Tony just happened to be bigger.

TAjcdnq.jpg

Mantis 2 "Tony": L?+1 (I'm presuming, it's bigger than the other one) definitely a pre-sub. Was the same instar as Davey, but bigger. Now smaller, one instar behind. molted 10/11! Now a subadult. Named after my bug hunting helper.

v3aS78i.jpg

New mantises caught 9/23

• Mantis 1 The smallest, the only none pre-sub I caught. Scared of anything bigger than fruit flies. Mismolted and put down 9/27
  • Mantis 2 molted 9/25! Missing a leg, didn't come back with molt maybe next time! Traded away.
  • Mantis 3
  • Mantis 4 missing a leg molted 9/27
  • Mantis 5 traded away
  • Mantis 6: Adult, "badass" female. Has a ants head still biting to her raptor. Died 10/1 of presumed old age
  • Mantis 7: Adult, "darkwing" female.died of old age?New mantises caught:

Mantis a1: Adult

Mantis a2: Adult

Mantis 8:

Mantis 9:
Behaviors, Characteristics:
  • Highly cannibalistic. They attack their own reflection on the wall. I'll try and get it on film soon.
  • Do not climb plastic well, they fall often. Would benefit from lots of mesh or bark on the sides. Definitely would prefer a full mesh lid.
  • Are attracted to light. Would make catching them easier to bring a flashlight. Makes taking pictures of them easy since they come up to the light. Here is a video of Davey trying to attack the flashlight! Damn it's cute.
  • They are active hunters, despite their camouflage. They run around actively chasing and jumping for prey.
  • Before they jump they open and close their arms. Also visible in the video. Anyone understand that?
Setup: (need to get photos)
  • Adults are in terrariums with lots of leaning small logs, and horizontal bark. The adults lay their ootheca directly under a smooth surface in their wild habitat, so I tried to replicate that. So far they have hid on the other side of the terrarium, away from me. So they won't be the best display mantis. Although they are beautiful!
  • Since they are very VERY fast, I thought they would benefit from a large enclosure from the beginning. They have lots of room to run around, which they actually use. Besides, I want to minimalism how often I have to get them a bigger enclosure so they won't have a chance to escape. they might be able to live their whole lives in the container I put them in. Feeding hasn't been an issue.
  • I mist every few days. My house is pretty damn humid already, but where I found them felt like 100% humidity so might as well.
  • Currently feeding on flightless fruit flies, small wild flies, and whatever small insect I can find for variety. Adults can eat superworms if pre cut in half. They dont shy away from the cut pieces like my ghosts do, they went for it immediately.
Wow this post is long. Probably not horribly new information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool little guys. I think mantises that run around fast are shaped a little more flat and 'cockroachy' than the typical mantis are neat.

Those are some lighting fast mantids. Never seen any move around that fast or jittery. The flashlight was great, showed the forearm flip/pumping before strinking - strange behavior for any I've kept for sure. ;)

Really cool... can't wait to find out what it is??? Thanks for sharing..

Update! Today I went out and found way more of the same species. Including adults! No waiting to see how they look fully grown. To me, they look very different from grisea (besides similar coloration). Their abdomen are very different, a lot less wide than grisea and less obviously segmented. Of course, the ootheca are more proof than body shape as they are clearly not any known Florida ootheca. I also saw an l1 (geeze I hope it was l1 only, it was pill bug size) that was absolutely tiny. Didn't try and catch it, as I need springtails. Here is an album on imgur with pictures of the set up for the new nymphs (some of them at least), a few pictures of the adults (one has an ant head still stuck on her!), some segment shots, and a bonus cute bug photo. Click the photos to see them huge, if it helps.

What sex are the adults? I think female, but I'm not so great at this.

Anyone have a closer/specific identification?

EDIT: Also, the original two nymphs are doing great :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Update! Today I went out and found way more of the same species. Including adults! No waiting to see how they look fully grown. To me, they look very different from grisea (besides similar coloration). Their abdomen are very different, a lot less wide than grisea and less obviously segmented. Of course, the ootheca are more proof than body shape as they are clearly not any known Florida ootheca. I also saw an l1 (geeze I hope it was l1 only, it was pill bug size) that was absolutely tiny. Didn't try and catch it, as I need springtails. Here is an album on imgur with pictures of the set up for the new nymphs (some of them at least), a few pictures of the adults (one has an ant head still stuck on her!), some segment shots, and a bonus cute bug photo. Click the photos to see them huge, if it helps.

Would you sell? I've been looking for this spp for some time.
I doubt this is the species u are looking for unless u are looking for what is probably liturgusa Maya or a new species. You are probably looking for gonatista grisea. These both are difficult to raise and breed. That being said I would recommend trying some other species if u are a new breeder.

Hmm definitely have a few females. One looks male as well :) the males have longer antennae, and are narrower. Their abdomen has a rounded off look to it, while females are more cone-shaped.

Hmm definitely have a few females. One looks male as well :) the males have longer antennae, and are narrower. Their abdomen has a rounded off look to it, while females are more cone-shaped.
Which mantises are you talking about? My original pictures in my first post or the album I posted in my update? The album I posted only pictures two adults multiple times.

The one that is called "badass might be, wings seem longer. Can you get underside shots?
I'm away for the weekend, I'll try and get shots during the week. It might be hard unless I move it to a plain container for the photos since they are released into a split ten gallon filled with lichen covered bark and they don't really go up against the glass at all (since they fall right off it). But I'd definitely like a double check.

Update: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Number 4 molted just fine. Number 1, the only none pre-sub mismolted horrible, only having use in one leg. No arms, all other legs up, and back stuck bent. My first mismolt ever, I feel so sad. Had to freeze her. She's in some alcohol now.

I HAVE AN OOTHECA! My female laid her first ootheca, and proceeded to get herself stuck and lost. I found her though, eventually. Beefing up security now.

awwww and congrats! how did she get lost hahaha? I had 4 l1 liturgusa escape they are soooooo fast