Mystery ooths from Tunesia - Please HELP identify!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
These were sent to me without identification. Sender does not know what species they are but they come from Tunisia.

Very small, slender ooths composed of two rows of eggs with virtually no foam covering. Seems the foam is only used to stick them together and to mounting surface. Just under 1/2 inch in length.

Any help would be very much appreciated! Come on you experts! :smarty:

Actual color is slightly darker than shown below...

Mystery_6396-sm.jpg

Mystery_6398-sm.jpg

Mystery_6402-sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Didimocorypha lanceolata

source: http://www.mantisonl...ndex.php?lan=en goto ooth pics , great reference site
Hmmm... The only reference to that species on the web is that page, which doesn't help much. Not sure if that's a real species name or what.

But definitely a cool site. I've used it for other info. Never noticed the ooth database. Very useful! Thanks!

Just a standard google search. There are some pics on photobucket, a link on mantodea.speciesfile.org,A link on insectstore.com, Www.bugnation.co.uk and several others

I have absolutely no idea. :no: BUT...I know when they hatch you will be at the ready to introduce the species to us in grand style. Good luck.

Mystery solved!

Supplier identified as Oxyothespis dumonti which is AWESOME!!! This is a species I've wanted to get my hands on.

Photos of another sample found HERE. Twice as long as mine but the same form.

P1010757.jpg

P1010776.jpg

This is what the species looks like. Keep your fingers crossed they are fertile!

oxyothespis2.jpg

22163.jpg

2.jpg

OxyL1a.jpg

So is anyone else as excited about possibly getting a culture going as I am??? :D

I have absolutely no idea. :no: BUT...I know when they hatch you will be at the ready to introduce the species to us in grand style. Good luck.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! You can be sure I will document them like mad if I get the chance!

Latest posts