need a roach

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely go with Dubia! As Patrickfraser and Hibiscusmile said they are great, and easy! Also to breed them they are pretty low maintenance. All you need it a large bin with (i use egg crates) and food. They will eat about anything, although recommended is cat food or roach roast. A little humidity helps though for breeding(same with heating). Here is a link if you are interested in it.

http://www.nyworms.com/dubiacare.htm

been told that they take alot to mature though? over a yr, or who told me is just a wannabe expert?

Oh no they can live to 1 or two years (so I've read because mine never made it that long because they were eaten),I read it takes 4-6 months to mature so fairly long for insects but a full grown one might be too big for most mantids i would think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a colony of lobsters for about 10 months. Adults are a good meal for most adult mantids, maybe not the smaller species.

Pros: Extremely low maitenance, breed very readily, grow rapidly, eat everything, good size for all ages of mantids (except hatchlings of small species).

Cons: Very quick, can climb glass, smell a tad funky when you grab them, for the reasons above...if they infest your house God help you

PS use vaseline on the top 3" of the container

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts