need help iidentifying

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigonator

Reaction score
hey all,

just got a mantid ootheca and I have no idea what sp it is. the ootheca itself looks similar to the egyptian mantid ootheca, but the nymphs look like ants, anyone know what sp this is? It's native to Costa Rica.

thanks much,

Craig Condon

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Wow, a mantis in a shrimp form :)

I have no idea but it looks like a primitive species, sometking like Mantoida, but it is of course a different species...

No idea Craig. Welcome to the site. Be sure to check out the introductions forum.

yeah around that time, I'm just starting to get back into them.

but about the sp I found, it is a mantid.

-craig

Hello Craig,

Perhaps what you found is a Mantoida sp ooth.

they are very small mantids and feed on the ground, so look for springtails or baby pillbugs

I would love to raise some in case you need help or if you want to trade.

regards

FT

Hello All,

Craig I did some research and I found out, that the only Mantoida sp that is from that locality is:

Mantoida schadreri from Costa Rica and Panama

regards

FT

So actually I guessed correctly :)

I'm looking forward to seeing more pics while they are growing up!

That is a wierd looking mantis nymph !

I would go with the ID by Isis and Fransisco - Mantoida sp. - the antennae are aften very long in this genus.

It is most definately a mantis though - only mantids have an apical hook.

Good luck with these Craig.

Rob.

Hi.

I would await the next molt - if they survive as long. Primitive mantids are rather difficult. If the pronotum is still as short, it could well be Mantoida. If it becomes somewhat longer, it may turn out to be Liturgusa. At moment, it looks more like Mantoida to me. In both cases very interesting. I would be interested in those.

Regards,

Christian

Hello ALl,

I agree with Christian, as I told you on the IM it might also be Liturgosa.

One thing that really puzzle me is the Cerci,it is so long on the pics you showed us.

Try to get them to eat the springtails,small raoches,small pillbus and sowbugs, try everything.

A few years back I received an ooth from Mexico, it was for sure a Liturgosa sp, they were so tiny that even D melanogaster were bigger, I was able to raise only two of them to L2, then I lost them.

Good luck Craig.

FT

Oh nice! thought i was looking at a termite on the first pic, and then firebrate on the second pic. Very tiny!! How many hatched out from the ooth? Do you still have the ootheca?? My guess is Liturgusa sp.

HEllo Craig,

How is the mantid doing? I hope is doing good.

It seems like also Liturgusa sp could be another posibility.

Here is a list of Liturgusa sp from Costa Rica

L annulipes

L atricoxata

L charpenteri

L cursor

L maya

I am also including a pic of a Liturgusa ooth and some pics from a Liturgusa sp from French Guyana.

LiturgusaOoth.jpg

Liturgusasp4.jpg

Liturgusasp3.jpg

Liturgusasp2.jpg

REgards to all.

FT

Latest posts