need id request

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was sent to me and I said I would post here to see if someone knows anything about it.

Any chance you might kindly help in identifying this bark mantis species I just photographed in Danum Valley, Borneo? The specimen was barely 1 inch long, probably less.

Any help is very much welcome - species, genus, family...anything would do :)

cheers + thanks

jumglepic-1.jpg

This was sent to me and I said I would post here to see if someone knows anything about it.Any chance you might kindly help in identifying this bark mantis species I just photographed in Danum Valley, Borneo? The specimen was barely 1 inch long, probably less.

Any help is very much welcome - species, genus, family...anything would do :)

cheers + thanks

jumglepic-1.jpg
That is one cool looking Mantis!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolbe sp.? That's what comes to mind when you say 'Bark Mantid' & 'less than an inch.'

Wow, this is not easy. This is one of the LBMs (Little Brown Mantids) which are hard to ID even from specimens, not talking about pics. However, due to a luck of a good angle, I tend to Myrcinus. There are two species recorded from Borneo, M. tuberosus and M. octispinus. I cannot tell which one it is. M. tuberosus is the more abundant species, but this has no meaning.

Latest posts