Need list of all U.S. Native Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most common you can find in the hobby are:

Tenodera sinensis

Mantis religiosa

Iris oratoria

Brunneria borealis

Stagmomantis limbata

Stagmomantis carolina

Phyllovates chlorophaea

Brunneria is becoming more common thanks to Rick and others in NC.

Others you may see available:

Gonatista grisea

Pseudovates arizonae

U.S. Native list i got so far..

Grizzled Mantis/Lichen Mimic(Gonatista grisea)

Mexican Unicorn Mantis/texas Unicorn Mantis(Phyllovates chlorophaea)

Carolina Mantis(Stagmomantis carolina)

Wasp Mantidfly(Climaciella brunnea)

Little Yucatan Mantis(Mantoida maya)

Mantisfly(Zeugomantispa minuta)

Mediterranean Mantis (Iris oratoria)

Brunner's Mantis(Brunneria borealis)

Bordered Mantis (Stagmomantis limbata)

American Grass Mantis(Thesprotia graminis)

I have them, and no one wants them, poor babies :{
Didn't know that! I have one but it is not mature yet so I have no idea what the gender is. Or at least I don' t think it is an adult. It is only a couple inches or so long. I like them. It was a big hit at bugfest as I had it in with dry grasses. Very few people could find it. I will probably want a mate for it at some point.

U.S. Native list i got so far..Grizzled Mantis/Lichen Mimic(Gonatista grisea)

Mexican Unicorn Mantis/texas Unicorn Mantis(Phyllovates chlorophaea)

Carolina Mantis(Stagmomantis carolina)

Wasp Mantidfly(Climaciella brunnea)

Little Yucatan Mantis(Mantoida maya)

Mantisfly(Zeugomantispa minuta)

Mediterranean Mantis (Iris oratoria)

Brunner's Mantis(Brunneria borealis)

Bordered Mantis (Stagmomantis limbata)

American Grass Mantis(Thesprotia graminis)
Mantisflys are not mantids. I believe they are flies. ;)

You can add three more:

Litaneutria minor -- lesser ground mantis

Stagmomantis californica -- California mantis

Pseudovates arizonae -- Arizona unicorn mantis

As Rick says, the mantisflies don't belong here.

The Mediterranean mantis, Iris oratorio, is an introduced species. If you wish to include it, you can add, as Massaman suggests:

Mantis religiosa -- European mantis

Tenodera sinensis -- Chinese mantis

Edit: I just looked at Orin's book and came up with:

Tenodera angustipenniss -- narrow-winged mantis

Yersiniops sophronicum -- Yersin's ground mantis

Oligonicella scudderi -- Scudder's mantis

Last edited by a moderator:
They are neither, but belong to a class of their own. ;)
Yeah, when I was a kid, I was in a class of my own. I got to wear a helmet like a race car driver. Cool!

Those mantisflies, though are in the family Mantispidae and the order Neuroptera, aren't they? Unless they've changed it again.

Edit: Oops, I remembered Orin's mantids and forgot Peter's Stagmomantis gracileps -- Arizona tan mantis

and another Stagmomantis from that nice FL University site*, Stagmomantis floridensis -- Greater Florida mantis (though I have no idea what the "lesser" one is)

* http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/choate/mantid_key2_03.pdf Chase: you and Grant might enjoy this.

Last edited by a moderator:
did agent A not ask the very same question and you all posted "USE GOOGLE" lol someone else asks and yall are quick to think up answers haha oh well.

did agent A not ask the very same question and you all posted "USE GOOGLE" lol someone else asks and yall are quick to think up answers haha oh well.
No, I think that that is a very good point. I suggested some texts and Google for Boxer's last question, and I've added about eight U.S. mantids to the list! :D

Boxer: Why are we all doing the work for you? At least print us a list of all the mantids we have listed so far, minus the mantis flies! :D

Actually, though, I don't think that there is a list of all the U.S. mantids on Google. No one seems to agree on the exact number, but I'm pretty sure that we are a few short.

No, I think that that is a very good point. I suggested some texts and Google for Boxer's last question, and I've added about eight U.S. mantids to the list! :D Boxer: Why are we all doing the work for you? At least print us a list of all the mantids we have listed so far, minus the mantis flies! :D

Actually, though, I don't think that there is a list of all the U.S. mantids on Google. No one seems to agree on the exact number, but I'm pretty sure that we are a few short.
Of course we're short mostly because some haven't even been in the hobby or the stock went extinct years ago and no one has collected any more so we haven't really heard of them in a long time (i.e. Yersiniops sophronica)

Latest posts