Need list of all U.S. Native Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did agent A not ask the very same question and you all posted "USE GOOGLE" lol someone else asks and yall are quick to think up answers haha oh well.
True :( . Just the way it is with people...including myself.

At least this time the question produced some good info.

I know that.but i like them.

any way who are this people (not on this site) that think they are not Mantids.

they got the head and claws.

my be it just a camo for them.
Just because they have similarities to mantids does not make them mantids.

Hello BOXER MANTIS the mantis fly is not a mantis though it has the claws and head but if you notice it has the body of a fly or lacewing and it may eat insects like a mantis but does not reproduce like a praying mantis and does not lay egg cases and they lay eggs on and The larva, at first campodeiform, makes its way into the egg-case of a spider or the nest of a wasp to feed upon the eggs or young. Subsequently it changes into a fat grub with short legs. When full grown it spins a silken cocoon in which the transformation into the pupa is effected. The latter escapes from its double case before moulting into the mature insect. Just find and ask a entomologist and they will tell you the same thing a mantis fly is not a mantis and never has been and never will be a mantis and CLASS IS DISMISSED!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
you can have your own list but as far as this forum goes the hobbyists here dont want the mantis fly mentioned but keep your own list but just not here!
Speak for yourself, Massaman. I'm also a member of this forum and I don't care if Boxer Mantis wants to put mantis flies on his list. However, Boxer Mantis, the mantis fly is not a true mantis. It shares some physical characteristics, but otherwise is completely different. I think you should also add the mantis shrimp to your list. Like the mantis fly, it is not a mantis, but does have some very cool mantis like features.

I know that.but i like them.

any way who are this people (not on this site) that think they are not Mantids.

they got the head and claws.

my be it just a camo for them.
Well I agree with you mate! I have long upheld Walter Pater's advocacy of "not mere fact, but of [our] sense of it ." Besides, the U.S. constitution upholds our right to hold and state our own beliefs. I think that one source that says mantis flies aren't mantids is Wikipedia, but everyone knows that that site is full of errors. As an example, they still call Roxanne's ground mantis by its old name of obscure ground mantis, so what do they know about mantids anyway?

Well I agree with you mate! I have long upheld Walter Pater's advocacy of "not mere fact, but of [our] sense of it ." Besides, the U.S. constitution upholds our right to hold and state our own beliefs. I think that one source that says mantis flies aren't mantids is Wikipedia, but everyone knows that that site is full of errors. As an example, they still call Roxanne's ground mantis by its old name of obscure ground mantis, so what do they know about mantids anyway?
thanks PhilinYuma.

that right i see it as a mantis so there. I know it is "not" a mantid.

but i just love the calw thing so im ading it to (my) list.

it for me only so i dont see way every one dont what it on it.

that up to me.

PhilinYuma

thank you your right.

"not mere fact, but of [our] sense of it ."

if every one did what they was told.

new thing would never been found.

There is no point to having Mantispidae on that list since if you wanted to culture them it would require wasp/bee larvae or spider sacs for the larvae to parasitize.

There is no point to having Mantispidae on that list since if you wanted to culture them it would require wasp/bee larvae or spider sacs for the larvae to parasitize.
i did not say i was going to culture them.

every one keep telling me what to do.

and it up to me what i put on "my" list.

i know who i am and what i what.

well.....

thanks for all your help any way everybuddy.

Hello BOXER MANTIS the mantis fly is not a mantis though it has the claws and head but if you notice it has the body of a fly or lacewing and it may eat insects like a mantis but does not reproduce like a praying mantis and does not lay egg cases and they lay eggs on and The larva, at first campodeiform, makes its way into the egg-case of a spider or the nest of a wasp to feed upon the eggs or young. Subsequently it changes into a fat grub with short legs. When full grown it spins a silken cocoon in which the transformation into the pupa is effected. The latter escapes from its double case before moulting into the mature insect. Just find and ask a entomologist and they will tell you the same thing a mantis fly is not a mantis and never has been and never will be a mantis and CLASS IS DISMISSED!!!!!!
A quick Google search uncovered your plagiarism :p

"The larva, at first campodeiform, makes its way into the egg-case of a spider or the nest of a wasp to feed upon the eggs or young. Subsequently it changes into a fat grub with short legs. When full grown it spins a silken cocoon in which the transformation into the pupa is effected. The latter escapes from its double case before moulting into the mature insect." - http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Mantis-Fly

i did not say i was going to culture them.every one keep telling me what to do.

and it up to me what i put on "my" list.

i know who i am and what i what.
What is the list even for? Also I have not read any post that is 'telling you what to do' it's simply pointless to have mantispidae on the list if you want to keep them. The reason I assume the list is for insects you want to keep is because it is on your about me page in your profile saying you only want U.S. native mantids and mantispidae.

........and another Stagmomantis from that nice FL University site*, Stagmomantis floridensis -- Greater Florida mantis (though I have no idea what the "lesser" one is)* http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/choate/mantid_key2_03.pdf Chase: you and Grant might enjoy this.
Hope Stagmomantis floridensis is not uncommon, being the 'Greater/Larger Florida mantis' i hope it is easier to spot, but so far more of the 'lesser' one is observed. I guess that would be Stagmomantis carolina.

Of course we're short mostly because some haven't even been in the hobby or the stock went extinct years ago and no one has collected any more so we haven't really heard of them in a long time (i.e. Yersiniops sophronica)
Yes i am sure there are more species than the list. The Yersiniops sophronica collected from AZ last year summer gave me lot of heatache on caring the hatchling. The ootheca continue to hatch out for a long period of time but not willing to take the smallest frtui flies..grrrr... The same goes to L. minor. The ootheca I send to Mike is still hatching as of last week!!

Remember though, that the Herper.com list is a complilation of people saying they saw a particular mantis species at a particular place. This doesn't mean all the people were entomologists, or knew or remembered exactly where (or even when) they saw a particular species. I'd suggest using that guide as a general list of info... but not take it as absolutely perfect or correct. Don't trust everything you read just because it's on the Internet.
One thing for sure is they missed out Thesprotia graminis in Texas. But i am sure that is not the only species the site missed.

Yes i am sure there are more species than the list. The Yersiniops sophronica collected from AZ last year summer gave me lot of heatache on caring the hatchling. The ootheca continue to hatch out for a long period of time but not willing to take the smallest frtui flies..grrrr... The same goes to L. minor. The ootheca I send to Mike is still hatching as of last week!!
Where the fruit flies too large?

Sounds like to breed this species you'd need a pretty large springtail culture going.

i know that mantis fly is not a true mantis.

i did not say the list was of what i what. i put.

I what U.S. Native's only.

((see this space that mean that the (I what U.S. Native's only) is over))

--- introduced species---

T Sinensis(Chinese Mantis)

European Mantis (Mantis Religiosa)

Mediterranean Mantis (Iris oratoria)

-------------------------------------

U.S. Native list i got so far.. <<this is saying what U.S. Native predator's i like))

-------------------------------------

Grizzled Mantis/Lichen Mimic(Gonatista grisea)

Mexican Unicorn Mantis/texas Unicorn Mantis(Phyllovates chlorophaea)

Carolina Mantis(Stagmomantis carolina)

Little Yucatan Mantis(Mantoida maya)

Brunner's Mantis(Brunneria borealis)

Bordered Mantis (Stagmomantis limbata)

American Grass Mantis(Thesprotia graminis)

Minor Ground Mantis(Litaneutria minor)

Stagmomantis californica(California mantis)

Arizona unicorn mantis(Pseudovates arizonae)

Slim Mexican mantis(Oligonicella mexicana)

Larger Florida mantis(Stagmomantis floridensis)

Scudder’s Mantis(Oligonicella scudderi)

Narrow-winged Mantis(Tenodera angustipennis)

Horned ground mantis(Yersiniops solitarium)

Yersin's Ground Mantis(Yersiniops sophronica)

Roxanne's ground mantis(Litaneutria obscura)

---mantis-fly's---

Mantisfly(Zeugomantispa minuta)

Wasp Mantidfly(Climaciella brunnea)

--------------------

LOL...I think I got more laughs from this thread than any in a long time!

I would only add that there are actually dipteran flies that have raptorial forelegs. Those are mantis flies, while mantisipids from Neuroptera should not be called mantis flies, but should be called mantispids. This way we do not confuse them with dipteran mantis "flies", truly deserving.

Mantispidae= mantispids

Latest posts