Need list of all U.S. Native Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
species in the U.S!

Arizona

Iris oratoria Yuma Co.; La Paz Co.; Maricopa Co.; Pima Co.

Litaneutria minor Yuma Co.; La Paz Co.; Maricopa Co.; Pinal Co.; Pima Co.; Sabino Canyon; Baboquivari Mts.; Cochise Co.; Huachuca Mts.; Chiricahua Mts.; Pinaleno Mts.; Pinal Mts.; Kaibab Plateau; White Mts.

Mantoida maya Sta. Rita Mts.

Oligonicella mexicana Maricopa Co.; Pima Co.; Sta. Catalina Mts.; Sabino Canyon; Baboquivari Mts.; Sta. Cruz Co.; Sta. Rita Mts.; Huachuca Mts.

Pseudovates arizonae Pinal Co.; Pima Co.; Sta. Catalina Mts.; Sabino Canyon; Rincon Mts.; Baboquivari Mts.; Sta. Cruz Co.; Sta. Rita Mts.; Cochise Co.; Huachuca Mts.; Dragoon Mts.; Chiricahua Mts.

Stagmomantis californica Maricopa Co.; Pima Co.; Sta. Catalina Mts.; Baboquivari Mts.; Sta. Cruz Co.; Cochise Co.; Pinal Co.

Stagmomantis gracilipes Pima Co.; Rincon Mts.; Baboquivari Mts.; Sta. Cruz Co.; Sta. Rita Mts.; Cochise Co.; Huachuca Mts.; Pinal Co.

Stagmomantis limbata Pima Co.; Sta. Catalina Mts.; Sabino Canyon; Baboquivari Mts.; Sta. Cruz Co.; Sta. Rita Mts.; Cochise Co.; Huachuca Mts.; Yavapai Co.; N. of Rim, Coc.-Apac.; Prescott

Yersiniops solitarium Baboquivari Mts.; Sta. Cruz Co.; Sta. Cruz Co.; Cochise Co.; Huachuca Mts.; Mule Mts.; Chiricahua Mts.; Pinal Mts.; White Mts.

Yersiniops sophronicum Maricopa Co.; Pinal Co.; Pima Co.; Baboquivari Mts.; Sta. Cruz Co.; Cochise Co.; Chiricahua Mts.; Yavapai Co.

Delaware

Mantis religiosa Newark

Tenodera angustipennis Newark

Tenodera sinensis Newark

Florida

Gonatista grisea Orange Co.; Seminole Co.; Dade Co.

Mantoida maya Orange Co.

Oligonicella scudderi Orange Co.

Stagmomantis carolina Polk Co.; Brevard Co.; Orange Co.

Thesprotia graminus Orange Co.; Seminole Co.

Indiana

Stagmomantis carolina Indianapolis; Marion Co.; Putnam Co.; Floyd Co.; Perry Co.; Lawrence Co.

Kansas

Litaneutria minor Riley County; Reno County

Oligonyx scudderi Manhattan; Riley County

Stagmomantis carolina Riley County; Manhattan; Onaga

Stagmomantis carolina irronata Manhattan

Kentucky

Stagmomantis carolina Woodford Co.; Lexington; Frankfort; Bardstown; Owenton

Tenodora sinensis Lexington; Jessamine Co.; Nicholasville; Paris

New Mexico

Litaneutria ocularis Gran Quivera; Las Cruses; White Sands

Texas

Brunneria borealis Part Lavaca, TX

Litaneutria minor Austin; Shovel Mount, TX

Stagmomantis carolina Cowell, TX

Washington

Litaneutria minor Spokane Co., Whitman Co., Grant Co.

Mantis religiosa Spokane Co.

http://www.herper.com/insects/namantids.html

Last edited by a moderator:
so including the link is not enough?

I can only do so much and if its not good enough then someone else can take over where I left off then!

Remember though, that the Herper.com list is a complilation of people saying they saw a particular mantis species at a particular place. This doesn't mean all the people were entomologists, or knew or remembered exactly where (or even when) they saw a particular species.

I'd suggest using that guide as a general list of info... but not take it as absolutely perfect or correct. Don't trust everything you read just because it's on the Internet.

Remember though, that the Herper.com list is a complilation of people saying they saw a particular mantis species at a particular place. This doesn't mean all the people were entomologists, or knew or remembered exactly where (or even when) they saw a particular species. I'd suggest using that guide as a general list of info... but not take it as absolutely perfect or correct. Don't trust everything you read just because it's on the Internet.
Actually, Katt, this is one of those exceptions that prove the rule. He cites a very impressive list of naturalists and entomologists whom he consulted and there is a good, if slightly dated, bibliography, too. I find it ironic that the best list of U.S. mantids is on a herp. site. Bassist makes a good point, too. Far too many of us (and this is partly true of me as well) restrict our interest to mantids "in culture," and overlook all of the wild ones on our doorstep.

i did and do look on googil and others to.

but cant find munch.

and yes i found a site and they put where they fund them.

but i lot was not from the US so just becuse you see one in the US dont mean it is from here.

i found a mantis before and it died it was from i put pics on the net i was told it was from lsome place els.

T Sinensis/Common Chinese Mantis,

Mantis Religiosa,

-------------------------------------

U.S. Native list i got so far..

Grizzled Mantis/Lichen Mimic(Gonatista grisea)

Mexican Unicorn Mantis/texas Unicorn Mantis(Phyllovates chlorophaea)

Carolina Mantis(Stagmomantis carolina)

Wasp Mantidfly(Climaciella brunnea)

Little Yucatan Mantis(Mantoida maya)

Mantisfly(Zeugomantispa minuta)

Mediterranean Mantis (Iris oratoria)

Brunner's Mantis(Brunneria borealis)

Bordered Mantis (Stagmomantis limbata)

American Grass Mantis(Thesprotia graminis)

Minor Ground Mantis(Litaneutria minor)

Stagmomantis californica(California mantis)

Arizona unicorn mantis(Pseudovates arizonae)

Slim Mexican mantis(Oligonicella mexicana)

Larger Florida mantis(Stagmomantis floridensis)

Scudder’s Mantis(Oligonicella scudderi)

Narrow-winged Mantis(Tenodera angustipennis)

Horned ground mantis(Yersiniops solitarium)

Yersin's Ground Mantis(Yersiniops sophronica)

remember the mantisfly is not a mantis or fly but its own species!

mantis-fly (family: Mantispidae), a member of the insect order Neuroptera, like the lacewings and antlions. Mantis-flies posses raptorial front legs (modified to catch prey) similar to those of the mantids, but they are more related to lacewings than mantids (which belong to a different order: Mantodea).

Looking better, Boxer, but as Massaman (in a remarkably well punctuated synopsis :D ) pointed out, those mantis flies have to go, and Iris oratorio, the Mediterranean mantis should be at the top with the introduced species.

Also, we missed another of Peter's mantids, Litaneutria obscura, Roxanne's ground mantis.

You know, it is really easy to do a down and dirty Google search in ten minutes, but a good one can take hours.

--- introduced species---

T Sinensis/Common Chinese Mantis,

Mantis Religiosa,

-------------------------------------

U.S. Native list i got so far..

obscure ground mantis(Litaneutria obscura)

---mantis-fly's---

Mantisfly(Zeugomantispa minuta)

Wasp Mantidfly(Climaciella brunnea)

Boxer you need to not add the mantis flies to the list just remove those as they are not even related to the praying mantis and dont know why you keep adding them but just get rid of them on the list!

Boxer you need to not add the mantis flies to the list just remove those as they are not even related to the praying mantis and dont know why you keep adding them but just get rid of them on the list!
Pretty much plus you can't culture em so no point really.

Well, Boxer, you got to the magic number of 20. Not sure why you changed the name of Litaneutria obscura from "Roxanne's ground mantis" to "obscure ground mantis", though. Your name sounds a bit obscure, if you ask me!

dont think anyone has every had a culture of Stagmomantis floridensis and dont know if it is still in existence or went extinct but what do I know I never had a stag species of mantis before so I could be wrong or maybe misinformed!

Well, Boxer, you got to the magic number of 20. Not sure why you changed the name of Litaneutria obscura from "Roxanne's ground mantis" to "obscure ground mantis", though. Your name sounds a bit obscure, if you ask me!
that what it was colld on Wiki.

(obscure ground mantis)

(mantis flys)

i what them on my list they got mantis likt claws so i like them.

you can have your own list but as far as this forum goes the hobbyists here dont want the mantis fly mentioned but keep your own list but just not here!

you can have your own list but as far as this forum goes the hobbyists here dont want the mantis fly mentioned but keep your own list but just not here!
I know that.

but i like them.

any way who are this people (not on this site) that think they are not Mantids.

they got the head and claws.

my be it just a camo for them.

Latest posts