Need Pro to tell me if this Ootheca will be fine due to I see some Mold..

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentDeviL

Reaction score
Received Ootheca today Dec 13th was ship on Nov 28th 2 weeks ... Here is some of the Pic I took. Hope some Pro can tell me if the Ootheca is good or bad . It looks like some Mold on the paper towel .....

s5uwif.jpg

o0a4wm.jpg

2ue6wxf.jpg

fdyu5f.jpg

dmtz01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These things are hard to tell.But it looks good so far.Chinese?

Im sure the sender would have liked to have their personal kept private as well.

Nice mounting job

Chinese should hatch, may be dried out due to the dry trip. I have chinese too, and they do ok in mail.
Thx for the Answer I just hope the mold wont affect the hatching .. (do not put it in a container that is not ventilated. This will cause mold to develop and will destroy the eggs inside the Ooth.) saw this on mantis PLace scared me :(

Just keep checking to see that mold from the towel has not spread to the ooth. From time to time, just check the presence of black spots on the ooth. If there is one or two, so be it, but if this condition continues to grow, you can put s dilute solution made of water and chlorine bleach on the end of a cotton swab and dab it on the spots. This shuold be done carefully and conservatively and this should check any spread of the mold. You will most likely have a nice hatch. You might want to place the ooth, after it has had time to dry out, in a container because that species can give you as many as 200 or more nymphs and when they hatch, they can spread all over a room in no time at all.

Just keep checking to see that mold from the towel has not spread to the ooth. From time to time, just check the presence of black spots on the ooth. If there is one or two, so be it, but if this condition continues to grow, you can put s dilute solution made of water and chlorine bleach on the end of a cotton swab and dab it on the spots. This shuold be done carefully and conservatively and this should check any spread of the mold. You will most likely have a nice hatch. You might want to place the ooth, after it has had time to dry out, in a container because that species can give you as many as 200 or more nymphs and when they hatch, they can spread all over a room in no time at all.
thx for the info I do have a large container for them

So long as the ooth hasn't lost any of its outer surface it should be safe from mold unless you over-saturate it when misting.

Best of luck! Be prepared. You're going to get over 100 nymphs from that ooth and Chinese are highly cannibalistic after L3 or so. Be sure to have a fruit fly culture ready to go.

So long as the ooth hasn't lost any of its outer surface it should be safe from mold unless you over-saturate it when misting.

Best of luck! Be prepared. You're going to get over 100 nymphs from that ooth and Chinese are highly cannibalistic after L3 or so. Be sure to have a fruit fly culture ready to go.
SO L1-L2 is oka to keep together ??? after hatch how long do I need to wait to feed them 1day or 2day or feed right away ??? I just re-done my Hatch container after it hatch i'll move them to the big Container :) here some of the Pic's.

I did see 1 -2 little hole on the egg case .....hope it will be fine from mold.........

20qj4i1.jpg

Cut from the stupid triangle thing lol Ventilation front and top more air flow

fwoppv.jpg

ic2zxj.jpg

After they Hatch I'll move them in this

314tk68.jpg

Here is the Pic of the hole...... hope it will be fine.

k9tn52.jpg

5eya1v.jpg

SO L1-L2 is oka to keep together ??? after hatch how long do I need to wait to feed them 1day or 2day or feed right away ??? I just re-done my Hatch container after it hatch i'll move them to the big Container :) here some of the Pic's.
You may witness some cannibalism at younger stages but you're usually OK till L3-L4. You could probably get more specific information from some else since all I've done with this species is deal with wild collected adults and hatch their ooth. I gave the nymphs away before they even hit L2.

They usually don't eat for the first day or two. You can introduce FFs day 2 and see if they get eaten.

I would suggest a larger incubation container with less ventilation. The nymphs will be severely overcrowded in a 32 oz deli cup even if you add excelsior. I don't use 32s for any ooth that produces more than 40 or 50 nymphs. I'd use an 80 oz cup. All that venting will do is lose humidity. Ventilation is important for nymphs but not ooths so much. For ooths maintaining humidity is more important so if you use that cup mist the towel in the bottom twice a day.

The big container looks great! Why not just incubate in there? Transferring nymphs is a royal pain. I would also suggest you put a small feeding hole in the top and use a funnel to dump FFs in. That side chute will be a nightmare to get fruit flies through.

All of that is just my opinion. Others may have better suggestions.

hard to tell from the pics but if it is wild collected, Holes generally mean parasitic wasps have taken over and ate all the eggs. If it does hatch due to parasitic wasps there will be little ant looking things with long tails.

You may witness some cannibalism at younger stages but you're usually OK till L3-L4. You could probably get more specific information from some else since all I've done with this species is deal with wild collected adults and hatch their ooth. I gave the nymphs away before they even hit L2.

They usually don't eat for the first day or two. You can introduce FFs day 2 and see if they get eaten.

I would suggest a larger incubation container with less ventilation. The nymphs will be severely overcrowded in a 32 oz deli cup even if you add excelsior. I don't use 32s for any ooth that produces more than 40 or 50 nymphs. I'd use an 80 oz cup. All that venting will do is lose humidity. Ventilation is important for nymphs but not ooths so much. For ooths maintaining humidity is more important so if you use that cup mist the towel in the bottom twice a day.

The big container looks great! Why not just incubate in there? Transferring nymphs is a royal pain. I would also suggest you put a small feeding hole in the top and use a funnel to dump FFs in. That side chute will be a nightmare to get fruit flies through.

All of that is just my opinion. Others may have better suggestions.
I tested FF could not get through the mesh , but Im not using that 32oz to raise them just hatch after i'll put the 32oz in the big container open the top let a the babies out then remove the 32oz . cup .. I do have a hole on the side top blocked with a sponge ATM FF will get in from there or the from the blue cap I glue to the container.

hard to tell from the pics but if it is wild collected, Holes generally mean parasitic wasps have taken over and ate all the eggs. If it does hatch due to parasitic wasps there will be little ant looking things with long tails.
I don't think is wild collected... . She breed her own Mantis

little hole wont hurt nothin, and I had 3 ooths hatch this week, and has to be 200 dead already, they do die quick, wonder why, I try to mist after I see them dried off, but they drop like flies, at first I did not mist till later in the day, then because of the deaths, I thought I should mist, didn't make a diff. If you wanna see a pic, let me know.

I tested FF could not get through the mesh , but Im not using that 32oz to raise them just hatch after i'll put the 32oz in the big container open the top let a the babies out then remove the 32oz . cup .. I do have a hole on the side top blocked with a sponge ATM FF will get in from there or the from the blue cap I glue to the container.
I'm telling you 100-150 nymphs in a 32 oz deli cup is WAY too many. Do what you want. I'm just telling you it's a bad idea. You will feel bad you did it when you see how full that cup gets.

I was suggesting you incubate in the large container, not the other way around!

Every time you open the lid on the big container you will have a flood of nymphs rushing out so it's good you put the extra hole near the top for feeding. But I have no idea how you will clean the enclosure without removing all the nymphs. Hope you have ventilation holes cut. Hard to tell from the photo.

Latest posts