New and overwhelming

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again, for the welcome and advice. If anyone is interested, I'll post our project once it's finished. 

On a side note, pet store guy told us that metal screens can damage the legs if nymphs, any truth to this?

ETA we're going to keep deli cups on hand in case this doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the prettiest, but a lid made of an embroidery hoop, plastic "screen" and tulle on the inside for optimum hanging, keeping fruit flies in. Think this will work? 

20190326_152334.jpg

20190326_152341.jpg

That tulle may not keep hydei in.

Definitely not melanogaster.

If youre feeding hydei, maybe add a 2nd layer of tulle.

I found a very fine decorative material (wide-ish ribbon) that is nearly see through and keeps hydei in perfectly. Dollar store.

That lid is awesome. 😎

So, ignore the messy background, but this is it so far. I added some ugly ventilation holes on the top side, and the other side lower. Do you think this will work?

15536314471265505687357151177959.jpg

15536314812115831782296963012893.jpg

Cute lid idea! I agree with hysteresis, fruit flies will slip through easily. Metal screens are fine for most species, but it is mainly species like the violin mantis and idolomantis who have problems with them. Heavier mantids may also have trouble with them, but most mantis keepers use metal screen without problem for mantids who aren't on fruit flies. 

That container looks absolutely perfect for a ghost, but maybe add some more climbing plants or sticks.

- MantisGirl13

Welcome :)

So, ignore the messy background, but this is it so far. I added some ugly ventilation holes on the top side, and the other side lower. Do you think this will work?

View attachment 12201

View attachment 12202
What a cute containr,.but fruitflies can easly eascape like the others said..

I use with my cup  when the mantids living on fruitflies this: https://www.mantidsandmore.com/product/drosogauze-30x35-cm/

No fruit fly escapes ;) When you dont need it anymore stop using it.

Thanks everyone. I will adjust so the fruit flies dont escape. I'll also add more things for the mantis to climb on. I wasnt sure if the plants at the top were going to block hanging area.

Thanks everyone. I will adjust so the fruit flies dont escape. I'll also add more things for the mantis to climb on. I wasnt sure if the plants at the top were going to block hanging area.
Perfect! You can add sticks that don't touch the top, but rather lean on the sides to provide climbing area. They shouldn't block hanging space. Mantids will also hang on the plants.

Sounds like you are having as much fun with this as your son is or will be!

- MantisGirl13

Absolutely. We spent half the day working on this together. Can't wait til the new little guy gets here.

Do be careful. If a small mantis is crowded and decides to molt close to the side, and the sides are wet, it could stick to the sides and mismolt. It could hang up on foliage.

Folks like @Graceface make bug ladders out of plastic canvas. There are many ways to provide perches without obstructing. Also be wary of low hanging perches.

I saw that almost happen to one of mine. I was able to intervene without touching it. Perfect molt.

Here is my fine mesh material. It was Christmas ribbon.

20190326_214609.jpg

20190326_214647.jpg

Ok, Thanks! Trying to find the cheapest place to buy in bulk.

- MantisGirl13

I ordered from Panterrapets and it said they are L4-L5. I'll definitely fix up the inside a little after work. Make sure the area is clear with plenty of climbing access. 

I wish I would've joined this forum years ago. You guys are the best.

I ordered from Panterrapets and it said they are L4-L5. I'll definitely fix up the inside a little after work. Make sure the area is clear with plenty of climbing access. 

I wish I would've joined this forum years ago. You guys are the best.
Ok, they are a trusted site so too I are in good hands! L4-L5 is one of the best instars to start with because they are big enough to be handled, but still have growing time left. 

- MantisGirl13

And at i4 i5 you can feed larger than hydei. Houseflies, quarter pin crix (be careful), larvae bits, waxworm bits.

One of mine even took a black soldier fly at i5.

my L4 is actually taking Blue bottles! So that is an option if you look into it. Houseflies definitely works better since they are smaller.

How soon should I feed this baby? He/she just arrived, and I'm questioning everything I thought I knew.

Latest posts