New and overwhelming

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can feed him right away. Give him some distilled water, too!

- MantisGirl13

20190328_111225.jpg

20190328_111355.jpg

Just throwing what little knowledge I have gained since I've started keeping mantises--I noticed your substrate you are using looks to be soil-based. I am slowly phasing out soil in the bottom of my terrariums due to mold accumulation. I have all but one enclosure that is soil, and thats because the ghost that is in there is getting close to molting and I plan on changing it out after he molts. The rest I am using either sphagnum moss in a tray for easy watering and removal, or wet paper towel lining the bottom of the enclosure. Granted, I haven't noticed any health issues using soil, but it got moldy enough to where I didn't feel comfortable using it anymore.

I also used the 'wide cast' technique when purchasing my ghosts, where I bought more than I thought were going to survive. This is a two-fold strategy because 1) It allows more room for experimentation to see what works, and 2) Invokes Murphys Law, ensuring all of them survive, strictly because I bought them thinking some were going to die.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts