New chinese adult mantids won't eat?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zemata

Reaction score
Hey guys my two adult mantids aren't eating. I feed them large crickets from petco and I feed the crickets those orange fluckers cube things. I've had no problems feeding them every other day during their previous molt. A couple days before I expected this molt, I stopped feeding them (I also couldnt make it out to get more crickets at the time). Just as two of my three became adults with beautiful wings, the third just randomly became weak and died. No idea why.

A few days later now, my two adults each have around two crickets in their cages and won't hunt them. They look at them and act interested, but won't move after them. I have no idea why and I'm becoming pretty concerned. Anyone know what I should do?

Also does anyone know a good way to get them to display their wings? I've tried nudging their side and abdomen, but they're so tolerant they end up climbing on me.

Well take out the crickets and leave the mantises in peace for a little (like a day). Then add one cricket the next day...and make sure the mantises can reach where the crickets are patrolling. Next, 'displaying wings' is a mantises threat pose, it stresses them out when they keep having to 'protect' themselves...by accident you will surely startle them with the opening of their cage or something... However, if you must make a mantis mad then GENTLY! grab their abdomen...they will usually try to attack you immediately and whip out their wings... But please don't keep grabbing their abdomen for your enjoyment...you seem like a caring owner of you mantises and this act will shorten their lifespan...so stress them at your own risk...long story short there is really no 'good way' to get a mantis to display their wings ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll remove the crickets when I get home if they haven't been eaten yet and I won't stress them any further. I didn't even think mantids could be stressed.

If none of the above works, drizzle the crickets in honey then hold it up to the mantis with tweezers.

Mantids love honey.

It took some doing, but I got the one mantis that still wasn't eating to devour a cricket by dropping some honey on it. Hopefully it won't shy away from the next one I add. Thanks for the advice guys.

Latest posts