New Ghost Cages

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansant86

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It's been about a year since I decided that I wanted to rear mantids and I finally was able to build my first setup! I'm building a cabinet type thing to fix lighting into tomorrow hopefuly! These will have hinged screen doors also as well as a monsoon mister that I will manually start and stop daily to provide some moisture as needed. Any and all input is appreciated! Any issues with these setups? They are the first mantis enclosures that I've ever built.

Thanks, Aaron

I like the climbing material on the sides :) My ghosts loved hanging upside down from small branches and leaves. They look kinda like leaves.... And hanging from the top of the container too so I had mesh and branches on top. The cabinets are nice.

I don't know much about building/rigging enclosures, but I like the material on the side, too. :) And I think screen doors will be great for ventilation and ease of access... I wish my cage could open up like that! The monsoon mister sounds really interesting as well.

I would make sure the enclosure is venting properly before introducing your Mantids so you know mold is not going to be a problem. That materiel on the inside walls looks like it would hold moisture quite well! What is it?

Be careful with the mister, a spray at the wrong time could knock one down during a molt. I spent a lot of time beating my head against the wall trying to figure out a way to safely use my system but eventually gave up, it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

@TheOtherSpecies - The Material on the sides is natural coconut fiber from PetSmart.

@Tony C - I though about that also and I bought individual on/off valves at a local irrigation store as well as heads that can be adjusted by spinning the tips to increase or reduce the spray. I will put a valve before each mister to each cage.

I would love to see your misting set up when you have it complete! I'm in the process of setting up 20 10 gal on a five tier shelf and I'm considering a misting set up on a timer with lines running to each tank coming off an RO filtration system.

No reason to remove the background if they are going in a cabinet.

@TheOtherSpecies - Only two sides of each enclosure are covered. They are 2.5 gallon setups. I'll also have one the same size next to these for nymphs/incubation. I didn't get as far as I wanted to on the cabinet today, however I did order ghost nymphs and also D. lobata nymphs. gotta get some deli cups until I can build more of these!

Just a couple of updates on the progress. I've got the cabinet built and just need to install a couple of brackets to hold the light at the top. I'm having issues building the screen doors of all things! I need to take the frames to the shop and cut them with something better than a dremmel tool or hack saw because my edges look like junk. I'm expecting the mantids to be here monday or tuesday so I've got to finish this thing this weekend. I have also decided to not use my monsoon 400 because it does not have enough pressure to power the misting tips that I purchased. That will go on hold until I find an efficient set of tips to put on it. I've got major feeding questions though! My ghost nymphs are L2 and L3. My D. labata are L2 I Believe.. As of right now I have a wingless Drosophila melanogaster culture. I need to know what else I need to feed these guys asap! I'll place an overnight order as soon as I find out for sure! Thanks for any help and advice you can give me guys! I'll get some updated pics up tonight also!

Thanks, Aaron

They will definitely be able to take both D. melanogaster and D. hydei, and may be ready for houseflies. Bug Trader should be able to help you out with feeders.

Last edited by a moderator:
As promised a picture of the progress.

Thanks Tony, I'll have to send him a message. Like I said before, everything is ready, just need to make sure I have the proper food. Margaritas are definitely a plus during this process. Trying to decide if I should mount this thing on a wall or set it on a counter or something. Decisions decisions.. Hopefully if this one goes well for me I'll be expanding the hobby next year.

Well, one down, three to go! Think I'm going to finish that drink and be putting the others on hold until tomorrow!

Wow, looks like it's coming along great Very cool! Did the design idea for this setup just come to you?

Yeah, after I saw the screen lid idea on the aquarium lovers thread I thought that it was a great idea! I didnt want to mess with partitioning off a larger aquarium so I decided that it would be neat to have a few enclosures to start out and just see how they do. I'm glad you like it! I think I'll place this in my Living room or maybe on my dresser. My wife isn't thrilled about the fly part but she'll adapt. Maybe I can keep them in one of the unused cabinets or in my old camillion stand. This project will be finished tomorrow so I will be sure and put a finished project picture up. I will also be sure to include images of the nymphs in their new homes when they arive! A quick question to anyone experienced with D. lobata.. What temperature do these guys prefer? Do I need to worry about heat tape or is room temperature of aroud 75 sufficient enough? Also I've decided that my next project with mantids is going to be a larger aquarium with a nice sized driftwood log inside with orchids attached and you guess it, orchid mantids. This will most likely be close to another year away once I figure out some of the easier species and their needs. Still never to early to start researching some and getting advice from others.

Aaron

Try taking the larger branches out. Mantids do much better on thinner sticks, and lots of them.

Yeah, after I saw the screen lid idea on the aquarium lovers thread I thought that it was a great idea! I didnt want to mess with partitioning off a larger aquarium so I decided that it would be neat to have a few enclosures to start out and just see how they do. I'm glad you like it! I think I'll place this in my Living room or maybe on my dresser. My wife isn't thrilled about the fly part but she'll adapt. Maybe I can keep them in one of the unused cabinets or in my old camillion stand. This project will be finished tomorrow so I will be sure and put a finished project picture up. I will also be sure to include images of the nymphs in their new homes when they arive! A quick question to anyone experienced with D. lobata.. What temperature do these guys prefer? Do I need to worry about heat tape or is room temperature of aroud 75 sufficient enough? Also I've decided that my next project with mantids is going to be a larger aquarium with a nice sized driftwood log inside with orchids attached and you guess it, orchid mantids. This will most likely be close to another year away once I figure out some of the easier species and their needs. Still never to early to start researching some and getting advice from others.

Aaron
First, I designed these for their simplicity and use, they are doors and not lids on the auarium lover thread BUT you can not rely on just room temp for most species. You will need a way fo keeping them warm even hot depending on the species. Judging by the door size they look like 2.5 gallon tanks you shouldnt have too much trouble doing it but keep in mind not supplying the temps needed for each species can slow their growth, even cause death.

Latest posts