New Housing Questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_simon_

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to keeping Mantids (normally a phasmid keeper).

I have 3, 3rd instar Sphodromantis centralis nymphs currently housed in small glass jars with a stick in.

I have 3 plastic jars coming either today or tomorrow and want some advice on setting them up.

The jars look like this

jar.jpg

and measure Height = 29cm x Width = 15cm x Depth = 12 cm

I use sand in my phasmid tank and find it works well, so was thinking of using a it for the Mantids as well. Would that be ok?

I'm not sure what else to put in, being ambush predators I guess they would benefit from a leafy plant but watering would be difficult so perhaps silk or plastic?

I do also have a spare Exo Terra glass tank 30x30x45 but obviously 3 Mantids into 1 tank won't go!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the 32 oz deli cup is the best choice for nymphs. They're cheap too. That container you have there will work but you may want to cut out part of the lid and glue in some mesh screening. Mantids will spend most of their time on the lid. You can add sticks or plants but be aware of the possibility of them interfering with molting.

I'm going to use fabric mesh for the top.

Maybe I could stick 2 jars together, have a plant in one side and nothing the other so that they've got somewhere to hide in and somewhere to shed in?

I'm going to use fabric mesh for the top.Maybe I could stick 2 jars together, have a plant in one side and nothing the other so that they've got somewhere to hide in and somewhere to shed in?
Nah. No guarantee they will go into the other side to shed. If you put anything just make it really sparse.

Or you can get two sides of the jar and glue a screen net on it for better ventilation. Hibiscusmile can show you step by step how she made her cage, right rebecca? :p