New mantids to hobby - dream mantid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
I was wondering, what type of mantid do you WISH was in the hobby but not yet? also, what is the most recent mantid to enter the hobby?

~Arkanis

Last edited by a moderator:
My current dream mantis is Hierodula salomonis. The common name is Jade mantis. This species has the size and ease rearing common to the larger Hierodula sp. with some very interesting coloration.

I hope to get some oothecae from England after the first of the year.

S-

I am looking forward to getting some B. Mendica soon. I have wanted them since I started this hobby. I also cant wait to get some P.W.'s, since Ive had some success with P.O.'s. I want to try I. Diabolica and Idolmorpha some day, as well as any Unicorn Sp. and any Sybilla Sp. and when I am more experienced, and I really want to successfully breed Orchids. As far as what is not in culture, I would love to get my hands on one of these, or since we are dreaming, an ooth from one of these:

48_589_1.jpg

As spanish, no doubt, Apteromantis aptera: if thisd mean that is out from the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species

more realisticly im allways for T. elegans

My (Sandra) dream mantis is the Cilnia humeralis!! I really want them.

And Giorgio's dream mantis is the Idolomantis diabolica. We have them... but need to breed them :)

Deroplatys sp, anyone of them thats not in culture, like D.truncata

One of my most wanted is the hooded leaf mantis

My 'most wanted list' would definitely include Green Leaf Mantis - choeradodis rhombicollis - a costa rican hooded mantis appearing on the top-left corner of the cover of "Praying Mantids - Keeping Aliens" book. I looked online and found nothing out about it. Does anyone know where online i can see pics of its front?

Those are cool looking ones you all posted ! Wow i especially like that D. Truncata ! that one is definitely on my most wanted list. wow, Apteromantis has some wild looking eyes!

Darkspeed - what are P.Os and P.Ws ? also, what is that camo mystery mantis in the pic?

My (Sandra) dream mantis is the Cilnia humeralis!! I really want them. And Giorgio's dream mantis is the Idolomantis diabolica. We have them... but need to breed them :)
I agree Sandra, I desire the Cilnia humeralis as well. I just need to do some research on reering them. (sigh) maybe one day.

Idolo, it's funny how one of the most morphologically primitive species of mantid (Metallyticidae) are not cultured. I would love to have those. But my choice would have to be the wide-arm. I love aggressive mantids.

Metallyticus is in culture; it's just not available to the public yet.

- The mantid from the pic is a Kishinouyeum; similar are Phyllothelys and Ceratocrania - definitely on the wanted list.

- Parablepharis

- Toxodera/Paratoxodera

- Stenophylla

Darkspeed - what are P.Os and P.Ws ? also, what is that camo mystery mantis in the pic?
Pseudocreobotra Ocellata and Pseudocreobotra Wahlbergii respectively. Apparently "Camo Mantis" is called Kishinouyeum. I'd love to have one of those, but sadly if it is on Christian's most wanted list I'll probably never even see one :p

While I will admit that the toxodera and paratoxoders sp. have the most wicked looking faces of all mantids, I dont really care for their hunchback appearance. I prefer mantids with good posture lol.

I also forgot to list Parhymenopus Davidsoni. But like I said before I am really just looking forward to raising B. Mendica next, and hopefully breeding them. Ive got an ooth on the way, and just cant wait.

Metallyticus is in culture; it's just not available to the public yet.- The mantid from the pic is a Kishinouyeum; similar are Phyllothelys and Ceratocrania - definitely on the wanted list.

- Parablepharis

- Toxodera/Paratoxodera

- Stenophylla
It doesn't matter to me whether it's in culture or not, it's still not available to the public. <_< And that's what I want.

My current dream mantis is Hierodula salomonis. The common name is Jade mantis. This species has the size and ease rearing common to the larger Hierodula sp. with some very interesting coloration.I hope to get some oothecae from England after the first of the year.

S-
I agree, I wanted one of these shortly after getting a mantis but no-one sold them :(

Parablepharis, forgot about that one. Most definately on my top wanted list, looks like its from another planet.

Id still like to be succesful with Plistospilota guinnensis and try Macromantis hyalina.spelling.

I'd like to try some of the Eremiaphilidae too, always found hot and dry environments easier to create.

My ultimate "dream" mantid that I've wanted to breed since day 1 was Gongylus, gongylodes. I'm raising them now, and i am confident that I will breed them. :D

Latest posts