New member with "rescued" mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cogit8r

Reaction score
Hi Folks;

Dave in Memphis here. I spotted a mantis on our front porch the other day and noticed it had only one front leg. I transferred it up to our porch light (which attracts gazillions of insects) in hopes it might find a meal. I really can't tell if it's fed. With only one front leg, feeding will probably be difficult, but is it impossible? If I offer it grubs or meal worms, do you think it will be able to feed, or is it doomed?

If it can eat the grubs, etc. I will probably get some sort of housing for it so it can live out its days.

Thanks in advance for your responses.Dave

Welcome. :)

Your mantis is not doomed. It can feed on moths, flies, crickets, grasshoppers, and even the occasional mealworm.

Is it an adult, (has wings)?

There is a lot of good information about feeding and housing mantids on this forum.

Thanks for the quick responses. It has wings, so I assume its an adult.

I'll dig through the forums for info on care and feeding. In the meantime the porch light stanchion seems to be a great hunting site. Will it get enough moisture from its prey, or should I supply water? (Kinda like a leetle tiny bird feeder)

If it is a wild mantis there really is no need to feed or water it. But if you want to make it a captive the info you can find here will help you. It may be able to live longer than normal as a captive since they die when winter arrives.

Welcome fellow Tennessean :)

I've had lots of them with missing arms, they eat smaller prey but they do fine.

Latest posts