New to the forums and a few pics

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris drake

Reaction score
Ive been interested in mantids for a long time but never kept them until now. Leanne got some mantids and encouraged me to try some. I've got 4 african stick mantids. I'm really enjoying them. I also ordered the mantid book Keeping Aliens. I've also found tons of good info here browsing the forums. Here is a few pics.

006.jpg

007.jpg

I was walking through the woods earlier and saw this. I believe it is a ootheca. Possibly carolina mantis? Could some verify that.

C

017.jpg

018.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Welcome to the forum! Nice pics and sticks- I'm not sure about the ooth though, not much experience way up north with anything other than Chinese and Euro.

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at a few ooth pics and think it is a carolina ooth. They are pretty common around here.

Chris

WElcome. The ooth is Stagmomantis. I can't say which species without knowing your location. It hasn't hatched yet either.

Ive been interested in mantids for a long time but never kept them until now. Leanne got some mantids and encouraged me to try some. I've got 4 african stick mantids. I'm really enjoying them. I also ordered the mantid book Keeping Aliens. I've also found tons of good info here browsing the forums. Here is a few pics.

006.jpg

007.jpg

I was walking through the woods earlier and saw this. I believe it is a ootheca. Possibly carolina mantis? Could some verify that.

C

017.jpg

018.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Chris
It is LEEANN, get the spelling right, gosh! lol

Did you take the ooth with you??

I want to see that book when you get it in :)

Welcome

Thanks everybody! Sorry LEEANN. All the years I've known you I didnt realize you spelled it that way for some reason and you are more than welcome to borrow the book when i get it. As for the ooth, it is in a container nice and warm. :)

Chris

Thanks everybody! Sorry LEEANN. All the years I've known you I didnt realize you spelled it that way for some reason and you are more than welcome to borrow the book when i get it. As for the ooth, it is in a container nice and warm. :)

Chris
Sweet, I wonder whos ooth will hatch first?? When did you find the ooth? It has been pretty cold, is it the right time of year to find them?

I have no idea if there is an ooth season or not. :) I found it on Sunday. One of the sticks molted today. At firt glance I thought I had a dead mantid. lol

Just found the first 2 babies crawling around the container the ooth was set up in!!! I had no idea they would be so small. Not much bigger than a sugar ant. I don't even think i can get a pic with my macro lens. lol. I think fruit flies might be to big for these guys. I still think they are carolina mantids.

Chris

Latest posts