New york mantid restrictions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends what state, i looked at my state's laws for exotics and such and no where in it does it band mantid species so I'm ok :)

Just look up your states info

Mantids tend to be a gray area. Should be a few threads in this section on this topic.

Depends what state, i looked at my state's laws for exotics and such and no where in it does it band mantid species so I'm ok :)

Just look up your states info
I looked it up, no luck on info :(

Mantids tend to be a gray area. Should be a few threads in this section on this topic.
I didn't see any for new york though, that is why i asked

Mantids are ILLEGAL to import into the U.S. They might be captive bred, but obviously from smuggled parents... This forum cracks me up but mantids are so cool!!! The only people I'd say not to mention your collection would be some educated/fish-game wild life guy... Otherwise, I cannot see any person even questioning whether or not they are illegal (unless of course you are already a bug dealer.) Fun fact - They are illegal to kill in NJ!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mantids are ILLEGAL to import into the U.S. They might be captive bred, but obviously from smuggled parents... This forum cracks me up but mantids are so cool!!! The only people I'd say not to mention your collection would be some educated/fish-game wild life guy... Otherwise, I cannot see any person even questioning whether or not they are illegal (unless of course you are already a bug dealer.) Fun fact - They are illegal to kill in NJ!
Every year at Bugfest people ask me if it is illegal to kill a mantis. From what I have researched that is an old myth. Got proof?

I just had a guy at a pet store tell me it was illegal to kill and keep them here in NJ. I asked, "Says who?" He stammered. I told him he was wrong and to look it up for himself. I can be a ###### sometimes but felt slightly justified by educating a young man who works in the pet industry.

Mantids are *not* illegal to kill in NJ. This from the Department of Entomology (evolutionary and developmental), Rutgers University- New Brunswick, NJ. Old wives' (and husbands') tale to keep these crop-assisting creatures thriving.

I stand corrected. It's not illegal although it should be!!! ;)

A cop in my family told me this as a kid, I grew up sticking to that.

Anyways it's nice to believe its illegal to kill a beneficial harmless bug!!!

Saddens me whenever I see a smushed mantis in the play ground...

Of course we do watch (with glee?) those poor, innocent, Disney-like crickets get ripped apart and disemboweled every day. Where's the sadness, the pity for those poor little victims??????

I believe the NJ mantis killing myth actually has its roots in the truth.

Of course we do watch (with glee?) those poor, innocent, Disney-like crickets get ripped apart and disemboweled every day. Where's the sadness, the pity for those poor little victims??????
They are not very lucky because they do not look like people LOL! My dad and I found a place to ask somebody who new about stuff like illegal animals but we got no reply.

Latest posts