New york mantid restrictions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mantids are ILLEGAL to import into the U.S. They might be captive bred, but obviously from smuggled parents... This forum cracks me up but mantids are so cool!!! The only people I'd say not to mention your collection would be some educated/fish-game wild life guy... Otherwise, I cannot see any person even questioning whether or not they are illegal (unless of course you are already a bug dealer.) Fun fact - They are illegal to kill in NJ!
they are also illigal to kill in Pennsylvania

Last edited by a moderator:
what makes you say thats not true? i have family over there and they say that there are so many tau's over there. and you cant kill them because its illigal. maybe its the certain area they are from. but an uncle was mowing in his orchard and had to stop becausee he saw a bunch and he didnt want to get into trouble

i just read this tho:

In truth, no such legal protection for the praying mantis exists. It is not illegal to kill a praying mantis of any kind, anywhere in the United States. Not a single state or federal law forbids you from killing a mantid. Similarly, you are free to collect and keep a praying mantis from the wild.There is a common Old Wives Tale that the praying mantis is protected and cannot be killed, but this is not true. The only occasion in which it would be illegal to catch or kill a mantis is in a National Park or other protected land where all the wildlife is protected.

The myth about killing a praying mantis
I remember growing up as a young kid in western PA in the late 1970s always hearing the story that it is illegal to kill a praying mantis, becuase they are endangered. My wife says that she heard the same thing growing up in GA.

so my previous info was just bs that had been fed to me....

what makes you say thats not true? i have family over there and they say that there are so many tau's over there. and you cant kill them because its illigal. maybe its the certain area they are from. but an uncle was mowing in his orchard and had to stop becausee he saw a bunch and he didnt want to get into trouble

i just read this tho:

In truth, no such legal protection for the praying mantis exists. It is not illegal to kill a praying mantis of any kind, anywhere in the United States. Not a single state or federal law forbids you from killing a mantid. Similarly, you are free to collect and keep a praying mantis from the wild.There is a common Old Wives Tale that the praying mantis is protected and cannot be killed, but this is not true. The only occasion in which it would be illegal to catch or kill a mantis is in a National Park or other protected land where all the wildlife is protected.

The myth about killing a praying mantis
I remember growing up as a young kid in western PA in the late 1970s always hearing the story that it is illegal to kill a praying mantis, becuase they are endangered. My wife says that she heard the same thing growing up in GA.

so my previous info was just bs that had been fed to me....
You mean stagmos? Taus would be a problem...

I highly doubt that. Are you sure you did not miss identify them? If they are living in the wild then this hobby could be in serious trouble.

they very well could have mis identified them, im going off of what i was told.

butwhat im curious about is why that would be bad?

I highly doubt that. Are you sure you did not miss identify them? If they are living in the wild then this hobby could be in serious trouble.

they very well could have mis identified them, im going off of what i was told.

butwhat im curious about is why that would be bad?
Introduction of non-native species to the wild is not something to be taken lightly. These are the only instances

I'm aware of where people were busted and fined. It's not cool to risk unbalancing local ecosystems. You will catch a beat down in the legal sense and potentially cause a crackdown that destroys the entire hobby.

So everyone be smart and NEVER release a non-native species!

Taus are native to Kenya. Some younger Stagmos look like Taus though. I'm keeping both at L1 to L3 and it's difficult to tell them apart.

Yes, Qwiggalo, but they will start eating each other and so there will not be too many in any area. Maybe some mantids do fine crowded. So those kinds of mantids could be a problem. Are Taumantis signia highly cannibalistic? We have big Chinese mantids that might actually eat up any other invasive mantids LOL! Yeah, that is a joke. Smaller mantids can live with Chinese Mantids in a grass field. But if the Chinese Mantids have a chance they will eat any smaller mantis.

Yes, Qwiggalo, but they will start eating each other and so there will not be too many in any area. Maybe some mantids do fine crowded. So those kinds of mantids could be a problem. Are Taumantis signia highly cannibalistic? We have big Chinese mantids that might actually eat up any other invasive mantids LOL! Yeah, that is a joke. Smaller mantids can live with Chinese Mantids in a grass field. But if the Chinese Mantids have a chance they will eat any smaller mantis.
Well this is the reason it's not a big deal really. Mantids don't go eating everything like cane toads do and they aren't poisonous.

But the problem lies in the unknown, there are so many variables in nature that you can't know what's going to happen.

Mantids are good at hiding from many kinds of predators. Maybe birds are good at picking them out from the plants, are they? I saw a movie about mantids (they were showing just European Mantids) and it said that the oothecae have something like rat poison. A person in a museum said that the Chinese Mantids are hurting the Carolina Mantids. I do not think Carolina Mantids will many problems because of the Chinese Mantids. Here in Wake Forest Chinese Mantids are not exactly everywhere. In some grassy places they are very many nymphs in the spring (L3 or so, you know about Ls and instars?), but I cannot find any in many places that look perfect for them. Hey, you know about Mantodea.speciesfile.org?

Speaking of introduced species, I recently watched a nature video on youtube where a natural predator seems to be controlling carp populations which can be seen

Latest posts