newbie here

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
hi ladies and gentlemen, my name is William from Boston. Recently I found four Chinese mantis during work, that's how I got interested in this site. Hope I can learn a lot from you guys. first things first, gotta go to the classifieds to find these gals a mate :clown:

hi ladies and gentlemen, my name is William from Boston. Recently I found four Chinese mantis during work, that's how I got interested in this site. Hope I can learn a lot from you guys. first things first, gotta go to the classifieds to find these gals a mate :clown:
Welcome to the forum and the hobby man haha enjoy.

Hello William, I'm Thomas, welcome to the hobby and forum! :clap: Sounds like you have your hands full already.

Sadly it seems nearly all wild caught mantis do not live beyond November/December, even indoors. Being this late in the season it is very likely they also already laid all their ooths (ootheca - egg sacks) as well, so getting male mantises may be a waste of time and money.

That said my wild caught mantis just laid her 4th ooth a few days ago. So who knows perhaps there is some time left for your plans, however unlikely?

The best plan might be to look around at the various mantis available in the classifieds and sponsor websites, and needed care/experience levels for them, and choose some new pets for the next year.

Either way enjoy your new pets. :D

Welcome.Chances are the wild mantids you found are already mated. And as someone mentioned, they are at the ends of their lives this time of year. You may be able to keep them alive for a couple months though.

Hello Boston, (William) I lived in Gloucester for 2 1/2 years!

There is a lot of really good info here... also a lot of great people who like to help... Looking forward to hearing more from you ...

Got any pics? We love those too!

Welcome! As people have already said the Chinese Mantis females might die soon from old age (or maybe they have a shorter life from living in the wild?), but they may lay one or two more oothecae for you.

hey friend, how do we post pics up?
To show them in your posts/threads you will need to upload them to a image host like Photobucket. Once uploaded get the direct share link of the image you uploaded, and copy it. Then click the image icon when writing a message here (by the two arrows < > ), paste the image link in the box, and click ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you can just click on the "More Reply Options" button next to the Post button. That will take you to a page where you can Post and at the bottom you can attach a file from your computer. Then once the image uploads, you click "Add to Post" so it shows up in your post.

To show them in your posts/threads you will need to upload them to a image host like Photobucket.
Facebook might allow unlimited amount of photos for free and they actually let you store high definition (is that the right word for high quality pictures?) pictures for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
very helpful :)

the one on the basil plant is the first one I kept, the one on the pepper plant is the newest one :cowboy:

20141104_192402.jpg

20141108_173047.jpg

Latest posts