Newbie With Basic Questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, we will get new enclosures when they get a few molts bigger. The room they are in is usually dark, so i figures the light would be good. I'll go add paper towels now.

The light won't hurt and I understand wanting to be able to see them. I have an overhead flourescent tube for viewing.

Well you want them to have access to the water. You also want it to provide humdity.
Wasn't there another person who had ventilation problems with the paper towels on top to keep the flies in? Maybe a smaller mesh screen on top and putting the paper towels on the bottom would provide better ventilation and better humidity control.

Wasn't there another person who had ventilation problems with the paper towels on top to keep the flies in? Maybe a smaller mesh screen on top and putting the paper towels on the bottom would provide better ventilation and better humidity control.
That is true. I suggested the paper towels on the bottom earlier. I am not sure of her lid set up. She can buy fine mesh at fabric stores that will keep flies in.

I'll tell my dad to get the fine mesh (i suggested this before but we never got around to going to the fabric store).

My dad took a couple great pics of Carl, hes about a cm long.

carll2.jpg

carlsfacel2.jpg

Pretty awesome face pic :)

Well, turns out 3/4 died. Either from molting weirdly (none molted on top?), or starving. Petco didn't have any more live flies, so pop was trying to feed them dead flies and ladybugs. Grr, i told him to get a culture online... :(

All of the mantids are dead...

Thanks for everyone's help with care, but we aren't getting anymore mantids.

All of the mantids are dead...

Thanks for everyone's help with care, but we aren't getting anymore mantids.
Oh come on now! If we all gave up when our first mantids died there likely wouldn't be a single person in this hobby. The mantids you had are notorious for dying at that stage. There is sooooo much more out there. Once you get the basics down this is not a hard hobby. Hate to see someone get discouraged and leave.

I agree with Rick. You can't give up now after all the work that you have gone to, and it is hard to start with only four nymphs. Here's the deal. If you order some nymphs and let me know in advance, I'll send you some ffs and culture medium at no charge. I prefer to send them out on a Mon or Tues to be sure that they don't get stuck at the PO on the following Sunday.

And no, pholks, this is not Phil's Phree Phruit Phly Phestival! :D

Once again I missed this post, but u's didn't need me anyways, U guys are great! Hey Ratchick, You need another species, not chinese, I myself only get a dozen to live out of an ooth. U pay for shipping and I send you some free babies and with Phil sending u food, whats to lose other than your heart!
wub.gif

No, it's okay. Part of it is that I'm at my moms most of the time, and she wouldn't want them (she thinks i have enough with four rats and a pigeon), and my dad is too busy to care for more animals (he's already got his two dogs, two rats, my brothers snake, and my brother haha).

I might get back into them sometime though :)

Latest posts