NO MORE CRICKETS!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, here is an update on the batch I got on the 23rd of March.

I cleaned their tub out today, removing egg cartons, feeding dishes, etc.

There were NO DEAD CRICKETS!! if U dont believe me, too bad, it's true and I am not exagerating.

I want to report this accuratly for every ones benefit.

Something else I noticed, the egg cartons were much cleaner then I have ever seen!!

These guys get BIG but they are quiet.

They also do not smell nearly as bad as domesticus.

Had I ordered the usual domesticus, I would be re-ordering by now due to the high mortality, but I still

have almost half of my original order amount!!

Asside from a few I squashed by accedent (oops, sorry about that little cricket!!), I have not seen a SINGLE

DEAD cricket in my tub!!!

I am VERY pleased and happy with this, and have not had a single sick mantis while feeding these.

I believe I can safely recommend Ghann's Cricket farm to everyone :)

Wow, this is encouraging. After discovering roaches I've never planned to EVER go back to horrible disgusting crickets, but now that these guys are out. Seems like I wouldn't mind having them around, even just to supplement a roach diet.

Wow, this is encouraging. After discovering roaches I've never planned to EVER go back to horrible disgusting crickets, but now that these guys are out. Seems like I wouldn't mind having them around, even just to supplement a roach diet.
Me too !! LOL

I have just gotten used to handling roaches and it doesnt bother me anymore, it fact, they can be fun to

play with :)

I raised them for the same reasons as you, but now that these cricks are so different, it's almost a moot point.

If the good cricket fortune continues with my next order, I will feed off the roaches and just use the new species

of cricks from Ghann's (or whoever!!).

NOTE:

Be careful of unscupulas dealers pawning off the wrong, or even illegal species for "cheap"!!

They both have their pros and cons. Roaches live longer, but that also means that it takes longer to get a culture up and running.

Crickets stink! I've never used them,and I am trying to avoid them at all costs.
Correction, DEAD crickets STINK. :p They do seem to stink in general, but it's not as terrible. As soon as you get a dead body in the hidden corner, it starts to stink within the hour and stays around. Hopefully since these new crickets are much hardier and less prone to random die-offs, they simply won't stink as bad.

If I ever get a large mantis which would be better off with larger crawling prey, these guys are the answer for me. I have dubia, but they always play dead. Other roaches are off limits for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crickets stink! I've never used them,and I am trying to avoid them at all costs.
I know it, but trust me, these dont smell rearly as foul as the domesticus.

Likely because they are healthier and more robust.

P.S. I stuck my head in the tub of 400 and took a big whiff!!

I could smell NOTHING!

Had they been the usual domesticus, I would have gaged and fallen over backwards!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction, DEAD crickets STINK. :p They do seem to stink in general, but it's not as terrible. As soon as you get a dead body in the hidden corner, it starts to stink within the hour and stays around. Hopefully since these new crickets are much hardier and less prone to random die-offs, they simply won't stink as bad.

If I ever get a large mantis which would be better off with larger crawling prey, these guys are the answer for me. I have dubia, but they always play dead. Other roaches are off limits for me.
I hate it when the roach hides or plays dead!! They can stay that way for days, and I have found them still

hiding when I clean the cage, after weeks.

If my mantis does not actualy see the roach as soon as I stick it in and go after it, the roach is free!!

Same with my tarantula, there is a adult male roach in there now, behind Kiwi's water dish, he has been

there at least 3 weeks, hidding!!

LOL!! I call them Rusty Red's!

I use Dubia because they are slow and lame, nearly helpless little creatures!!

Roll one over on it's back, they are so lame they cant get back up!! :)

LOL!! I call them Rusty Red's!

I use Dubia because they are slow and lame, nearly helpless little creatures!!

Roll one over on it's back, they are so lame they cant get back up!! :)
That makes me just want to tickle roach bellies. I've always wanted to get some hissers, but I am worried about breeding. I don't want to kill adorable roach babies and don't keep enough mantises to eat them all off so overpopulation would occur if they started breeding all willy nilly. XP

That makes me just want to tickle roach bellies. I've always wanted to get some hissers, but I am worried about breeding. I don't want to kill adorable roach babies and don't keep enough mantises to eat them all off so overpopulation would occur if they started breeding all willy nilly. XP
Roaches will actually maintain a population appropriate to the space you give them. I kept hissers for 10 years and the population remained essentially the same. They lived comfortably in their 10 gallon tank with little maintenance. So long as you don't raise them in a big tub you won't get overrun. Way more fun to watch in a small tank anyway. Males will play king of the hill and make a lot of noise to impress the ladies. :D

Roaches will actually maintain a population appropriate to the space you give them. I kept hissers for 10 years and the population remained essentially the same. They lived comfortably in their 10 gallon tank with little maintenance. So long as you don't raise them in a big tub you won't get overrun. Way more fun to watch in a small tank anyway. Males will play king of the hill and make a lot of noise to impress the ladies. :D
Wow now you are really makeing me want them. I would have most likely set up a 10-20gallon tank for them and it would very much be for my viewing pleasure. Unfortunatly my location is another reason I have forced myself to avoid picking them up.

I have hissers and dubias living together and doing well. Not too many hissers yet, but they are producing young and are easy to tell apart from the dubias. They get big pretty quick. I can't wait to get some more adults. I only have 1 male and 3 female adults. I have no idea how many babies are around in there. I'm hoping to get them separated into their own bin, but it's easier to leave them where they are. If it ain't broke.... :lol:

I could never keep roaches in my place. i had a friend whose place was infested with them. I'm afraid I would misplace one and before you know it my place would be infested too. I'll stick with crix from the pet store.

I could never keep roaches in my place. i had a friend whose place was infested with them. I'm afraid I would misplace one and before you know it my place would be infested too. I'll stick with crix from the pet store.
LOL!!

I know exactly what you mean.

I have had enough roach infested appartments in my life.

It took me a long time to get used to having Dubia in the house.

What eased my mind about getting them was the fact that they can not climb smooth

surfaces, they require heat to live, and they do not fly.

If they escapted the tub, they would die within a few days unless your home is always

in the high 70's or low 80's F.

I had a few of them in a plastic critter keeper and forgot they were there.

Removed for the heat sorce and put on a shelf, they were dead after 3 or 4 days.

Also, they will not eat anything (soap, glue from bags, etc.) like pest roaches.

Latest posts