NO MORE CRICKETS!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!!

I know exactly what you mean.

I have had enough roach infested appartments in my life.

It took me a long time to get used to having Dubia in the house.

What eased my mind about getting them was the fact that they can not climb smooth

surfaces, they require heat to live, and they do not fly.

If they escapted the tub, they would die within a few days unless your home is always

in the high 70's or low 80's F.

I had a few of them in a plastic critter keeper and forgot they were there.

Removed for the heat sorce and put on a shelf, they were dead after 3 or 4 days.

Also, they will not eat anything (soap, glue from bags, etc.) like pest roaches.
I've had my dubias fare fine without a heat source at room temp. (76 degrees) However, they did not breed well, and any lower I would expect no breeding at all. I also did a few tests over the winter last year, their mortality rate SIGNIFICANTLY increased at 70 and below. Any of the gravid females at that point had ejected their oothecae. Coupled with their inability to climb smooth surfaces, slow movements, and humidity needs, the chances of dubias infesting the average household is close to nill. You might have them survive for several days, or even weeks, but actually prolificating and thriving is just not possible really. That is, unless you live in an extremely cluttered house such as one of a hoader, live in a very warm climate, and keep random food out and buckets of water in the middle of your living room. lol.

These guys are the perfect feeders, and a great roach for someone looking to start their first roach colony. Their only downside is the fact that they love to play dead, and usually only take a few short steps at a time when active. Not the best atributes when you have a predator that relies on lots of movement.

Course, I've gone off topic a little. I'm hopefully looking to purchase some of these new and improved crickets pretty soon. I'm hoping they're not as cannibilistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I guess that is why they don't want them in FL. Our house is usually 77-80 degrees and humidity usually 40-50%. I still don't think however they would be much a of a house pest problem.

Lol I guess that is why they don't want them in FL. Our house is usually 77-80 degrees and humidity usually 40-50%. I still don't think however they would be much a of a house pest problem.
Mine is the same, still doubt they would do much at all. I live in Florida too, was pretty dang hard finding roaches here.

Latest posts