Non-toxic Superglue?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cyanoacrylate gel/liquid is safe once dry. At least it is for marine aquariums, which can house some of the most sensitive invertebrates on the planet, so I think it would be safe.

The non-toxic stuff should be okay as well.

Get you a cheap glue gun. The glue those use is non toxic.

Any hot glue gun works for cage assembly, it would be difficult to use superglue to make cages (hot glue is a terrible idea for hanging oothecae). The one thing to watch out for is some plastics don't stick to the hot glue --they seem to but if you flex it when cooled it comes loose.

Any hot glue gun works for cage assembly, it would be difficult to use superglue to make cages (hot glue is a terrible idea for hanging oothecae). The one thing to watch out for is some plastics don't stick to the hot glue --they seem to but if you flex it when cooled it comes loose.
So what should I use for hanging oothecae? Besides hot glue, is there anything else I can use for sticking stuff to my mantids cage?(I have a lot of plastic)

Where can you find glue guns? Can you find it in a local DIY shop?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what should I use for hanging oothecae? Besides hot glue, is there anything else I can use for sticking stuff to my mantids cage?(I have a lot of plastic)Where can you find glue guns? Can you find it in a local DIY shop?
A low temp hot glue gun works fantastic for hanging ooths. I let it cool a couple seconds before attaching. I use a very small drop.

A low temp hot glue gun works fantastic for hanging ooths. I let it cool a couple seconds before attaching. I use a very small drop.
If you're careful you can get away with hot glue guns with large oothecae and not even know you killed a few eggs. If you're not careful or the oothecae are small it's another story. Superglue works great for hanging oothecae.

If you're careful you can get away with hot glue guns with large oothecae and not even know you killed a few eggs. If you're not careful or the oothecae are small it's another story. Superglue works great for hanging oothecae.
That is the reason I let it cool and only use a very small amount. I could see a possible issue with small ootheca that are not well insulated but not with the larger ones which have lots of protection. Superglue contains some nasty stuff which is why I won't use it.

Superglue contains some nasty stuff which is why I won't use it.
I understand the hesitation but superglue is used on living soft and hard corals in reef aquaria (and has been used on various oothecae) with no ill effects.

Well my friend and I found two Tropidomantid ootheca and used superglue to stick it to the lid of a container. One day I got back from school and found that the ootheca had hatched and only one nymph had survived. Is this because of the superglue? Should I have used a glue gun? BTW I'm not going to buy a glue gun because they are very expensive from where I come from (Malaysia). A normal glue gun costs about 60 ringgit ($20). A good glue gun costs about 150 ringgit ($60)

Well my friend and I found two Tropidomantid ootheca and used superglue to stick it to the lid of a container. One day I got back from school and found that the ootheca had hatched and only one nymph had survived. Is this because of the superglue? Should I have used a glue gun? BTW I'm not going to buy a glue gun because they are very expensive from where I come from (Malaysia). A normal glue gun costs about 60 ringgit ($20). A good glue gun costs about 150 ringgit ($60)
Nobody can tell you if the type of glue had anything to do with it.

You could try just pinning them, I have never tried this but it seems like if your careful it could work.

It sounds like you're saying the ootheca hatched fine but the nymphs died. In that case it's pretty much a certaintly that external conditions killed the nymphs. Glue attached to the ootheca couldn't harm them when at the point they died they're no longer in the ootheca.

I would suggest 100%silicone sealant, clear if U can use it. it is non toxic and is used in everything. We use it to make or repair Saltwater aquariums, that hold invertabrate 1000x more sensitive to chemicals than land inverts.