not looking good

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro junkie

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
all 5 males have shed to adult..and my females shed to pre subadult last week..not looking good :mad: :(

i remember rick saying you dont need to slow down the males.well i didnt.now look.2 sheds in front..Does any one know if i can get the females shed to adult with in 1 month if i power feed them "yen style"

2548615183_f2ec69aa4e_o.jpg

2548599765_40d306a401_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be fine! Feed the males only a few times a week but feed your females heavily daily. The males live a long time.

Everywhere ive read about them the number one rule with these is to cool the male and they have short lifespans

The female pictured has two moults left before it matures.

It is possible to get the femles ready for mating at this VERY late stage, but you will have to cool the males down (I'm sure we talked about this :rolleyes: ).

Regardless of what anyone else says, if you want to breed Hymenopus then you must pick out the males at 3rd-4th instar to be sure of getting them adult within an acceptable time frame.

Scott - you need to cool the males down to 65-70F and feed only once a week.

Expect to get 3-4 months out of the males, so not a long lived adult.

Rob

The female pictured has two moults left before it matures. It is possible to get the femles ready for mating at this VERY late stage, but you will have to cool the males down (I'm sure we talked about this :rolleyes: ).

Regardless of what anyone else says, if you want to breed Hymenopus then you must pick out the males at 3rd-4th instar to be sure of getting them adult within an acceptable time frame.

Scott - you need to cool the males down to 65-70F and feed only once a week.

Expect to get 3-4 months out of the males, so not a long lived adult.

Rob
im cooling the males off now..when u said to cool them off i did it rob..but by that time it was to late but yer im stil cooling them off and feeding them like you said.im over feeding the females..look like there going to pop..update coming soon.

I guess if you want to warm up the females, that would get them to mature faster. Just try not to cook them, you know?

Since I am down to only three and still unable to properly determine their sex, my chances of breeding are pretty slim... but it is strange. they all started out the same size being from the same clutch and all, and have been kept under identical conditions. However the three that remain are all at different instars, one being quite a bit larger than the other two and one being tiny in comparison. Otherwise they are all three identical in every way. Are these size differences normal, and possibly a way of telling whether or not one of them differ sexually from the others?

P6072337.jpg

P6072333.jpg

For nymphs just look at the segments on the abdomen. It is posisble the smaller ones are males.