Now Mantis owners

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishdevil

Reaction score
hi my name is Bee and my 4 year old daughter just saved a small praying mantis from a big spider yesterday. i have some experince with mantis care but usually on a bigger scale. right now he is in a 10 gallon tank with a pretty cool set up ( i usually rasie frogs so had some spare decor laying around.). the hubby and the kids are going to get plants to tomorrow.....what type do you suggest?

also picking up some wingless fruit flies for him but last night the huby caught a few bugs after he was done smoking and he seems to ate pretty well.but it seems Geeka ( my daughter named him) is settling in.

How big is the mantis? Regardless, I suggest a smaller enclosure. it will be easier for it to get its food.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes because he did fly around the room last night for a bit.
Given your location, I think that you have a male stagmomantis Carolina. Mine lived happily in an 32oz deli cup.

Mantids domt really like to fly unless they're threatened or out looking for mates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should move him into the smaller critter keeper ( well it is large compared to some) becuase he does look a bit lost. kinda like a male betta in big tanks.

Thanks for the info. any suggestions for live plants? I like using live plants. It seems to add a little something to a tank.
I use sticks and hot glue to give lots of surface area. You could use fake plants, and glue. It's difficult to get live plants that are short enough, strong enough, and wide enough.

well have had Geeka for about a week. He is eating very well. adjusting to his home. even had him perch on my finger and i think he just realizes I am trying to care for him. kids are intrigued by him.

Latest posts