Nymph not eating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Konstantine

Nymphs recently started coming out of a mantis egg I had, at first there were about 7 nymphs and then after only about 2 days they all died but one. The last survivor seems very healthy and active but will not eat, when I put little flys up to it it smacks them away, is this normal?

Nymphs recently started coming out of a mantis egg I had, at first there were about 7 nymphs and then after only about 2 days they all died but one. The last survivor seems very healthy and active but will not eat, when I put little flys up to it it smacks them away, is this normal?
What species. Have you misted him yet. Also what flies are you putting. They may be to big. Try melanogaster if it is a small species. Also i reccommend registering to the forums lol

What species. Have you misted him yet. Also what flies are you putting. They may be to big. Try melanogaster if it is a small species. Also i reccommend registering to the forums lol
I think it is Religiosa. I have been misting it with a fine mist once a day and have a lamp about 2 feet above the container giving light but not heat.

the bug I gave it is roughly half the size it is, it was some sort of moth, ill register after this reply

That's Religiosa for you <_<

You can try again, I guess. If that doesn't work, you can try handfeeding it by sticking some food on a toothpick.

That's Religiosa for you <_< You can try again, I guess. If that doesn't work, you can try handfeeding it by sticking some food on a toothpick.
He will grab the bug and then fling it across the container and kill it but never eats it.. he is the last survivor and I'd hate for him to starve I guess I will try giving it some wingless fruit flies and see how that works out... any other suggestions besides the toothpick thing?

I do not even know why the others died they just kind of stopped moving and died sitting where they were. I am going to try and put him in a smaller container with just him and the bug then hopefully he will eventually eat it after running into it so many times.

I never had any luck with these. They always died.

anyone have info that is specific of this species? maybe we are missing something... like they require high humidity or maybe a strange temperature

I'm pretty sure I've tried everything. I've kept it at high heat low humidity, low heat high humidity, high heat high humidity, low heat low humidity. I was guessing that they preferred temperatures and humidity in the lower end of the spectrum. :huh: Perhaps this mantis just doesn't do well in captivity.

I'm pretty sure I've tried everything. I've kept it at high heat low humidity, low heat high humidity, high heat high humidity, low heat low humidity. I was guessing that they preferred temperatures and humidity in the lower end of the spectrum. :huh: Perhaps this mantis just doesn't do well in captivity.
darn I guess I will let him hang around and just hope he will eat the wingless fruit flies I ordered. I also ordered a few giant Asian praying mantises since it looks like this little guy might kick the bucket soon, hopefully I will have better luck with those.

darn I guess I will let him hang around and just hope he will eat the wingless fruit flies I ordered. I also ordered a few giant Asian praying mantises since it looks like this little guy might kick the bucket soon, hopefully I will have better luck with those.
You'll do fine with the Giant Asians.

Latest posts