Ok, you got me! My first mantid ideas??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to take one of the Chinese Mantid ooths out of the fridge. Petco has a clearance sale on these small halfmoon 6"Hx4"Wx3"D is this a good size for a mantid?

I'm about to take one of the Chinese Mantid ooths out of the fridge. Petco has a clearance sale on these small halfmoon 6"Hx4"Wx3"D is this a good size for a mantid?
That will work for a nymph but way too small for an adult. Chinese mantises are one of the most active species you can get. They really do best with some space to roam. Live Monarch makes some lovely, inexpensive net cages that you might want to look into. For your money they will provide the most room and I've found net cages work very well with Chinese mantids who tend to be rather clumbsy on glass/plastic cage walls once they start to get larger.

This guy has come to the forum wanting to hatch nymphs as "feeders" to make money! And you guy's want to help him do this???

I don't get it, do you also leave you children with the pedophile down the street when you go out to dinner? :no:

Where's the bug love gone? :(

This guy has come to the forum wanting to hatch nymphs as "feeders" to make money! And you guy's want to help him do this???

I don't get it, do you also leave you children with the pedophile down the street when you go out to dinner? :no:

Where's the bug love gone? :(
I wasn't aware of that when I responded.

I think they are looking to broaden their horizons and try something new. I believe they are planning to "keep" and not just feed them off. I may be wrong. I know I'm gonna hear it for this, but I feed smaller mantids to larger mantids when I have too many. I don't see much difference between a mantis or any other bug besides having a soft spot in my heart for them. A bug is a bug, after all, and the larger mantids LOVE them.

he is a cam guy. they are different people. they do not view mantids as we do. i think he is a genuinely nice guy though and wants to branch out into a new hobby. that being said some of his fellow cam guys think we are stuck up b**** who love bugs and are soft on the inside. Rebeca beware people love to buy your mantids as feeders.

Edit: check out this old thread on chameleon forum http://www.chameleonforums.com/feeding-your-feeder-mantids-24512/. this kind of thing sickens me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I raise chameleons as feeders for my snakes. I buy house flies for my mantids, feed the mantids to the chameleons, and then feed the chameleons to the snakes. Sometimes, when I get a taste for exotic cuisine, I filet and eat the snakes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go swimming with the Great White Sharks off the coast of Australia.

I started out feeding mantis to my chameleons. Then I got rid of my chams and not only have mantis. That's how I got in into the hobby.

Maybe this will convert him as well.....

OMG! Did anybody happen to see who started that thread? At least the profile pic is same as our very own Brian Aschenbach! What team is he on? LOL

i saw that as well. he seems to have changed.
Yea, that's him. I first met Brian on Chameleon Forums. EDIT: He's a pretty interesting guy.

Umm I don't know how much I appreciate being compared to a pedophile, "angelofdeath", but last time I checked the Cycle of Life wasn't always pretty, but we must accept it. I'm not into feeding ornamental pets to chams for consumption, but a wild caught Chinese Mantid? Come on, let's not get too soft now, huh?

I just bought 4 new cages at Petco. They're about 12"x12"x12", are these big enough?

Thank you everyone for your help. And btw, I wasn't getting my new mantids from BugsInCyberspace, but from Patrick Frasier :)

-Dave

SPF

so if i find a lizard outside it is totally fine to feed to my cat? would it be ok to post pics of my cat playing with it? just food for thought.

Cats eat lizards all the time, whether we see it or not. God knows what those things eat sometimes, and it doesn't affect me in the least if I see a lizard getting eaten, actually we were considering getting "feeder anoles" so if you have any pictures of a mantid eating a lizard, that would be awesome.. But I never wanted to post any pictures of Chams eating mantids.... So yea, I can understand your point.

i don't say predation happens in nature, because it does. it really don't care what you do as long as i don't see it. this is a mantid forum. we like mantids here. i am sure if i posted a pic of a mantis eating a pygmy chameleon on chameleon forum people would get pretty pissed off.

Alright Griping, I'm not going to argue with you, but you're being a little sensitive. I'm sorry if you're offended that people purchase mantids for the purpose for feeding to their animals. That was not the purpose of this thread topic, but rather to find me a PET mantis. Let's not skew it to make a senseless argument out of nothing.

On another note, I appreciate all of your help, everyone :) I hope to be getting my 3 new mantids here very soon. I took the Chinese Mantid ooth out of the fridge last night and hung it upside down in a 32 oz cup. Is this correct?

-Dave

SPF

let us agree to disagree. i am probably oversensitive about them, but i love em.

as for your setup you might want a bigger hatching cup. i would recommend a live monarch 12 inch net cube.

some other good beginner mantids i would recommend to you are popa spurca and texas unicorn.

oh and by the way it is gripen not griping.

please dont take what i said personally because i would have said this to any one else.

Latest posts