Ok, you got me! My first mantid ideas??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think people should respect more other people's tastes. I mean we mantis lovers can't consider chameleon lovers as monsters because they feed mantises to their pets. Of course it bothers to see a pet that we so hard try to raise and take care of being munched by another predator, but there's no need to argue about it. I would argue if the species was at least in danger of extinction, otherwise i wouldn't care as long as they aren't my praying-mantises.

Imagine a forum of grasshopper/cricket/butterfly lovers for example, When they find this thread they might think we are all monsters too because we give those bugs regularly as food for our pets but we don't give a c*** about the victims. We just care about the ones we take care of, and so do the chameleon, snake, shark or dinosaur people. This is nature with a Human touch! Live with it!

As long as the person in question wants to raise the mantids, whatever their fate, must be welcome here. The only people that aren't welcome are those not interested in keeping or raising them. That's my personal opinion. I don't know about you but "i find your lack of respect disturbing".

By the way Small Pet Feeders, i got images and footage of some of my mantids eating small lizards, but i find it too cruel to be posted. A praying-mantis eating bugs is one thing and it's already pretty gruesome, but when they eat vertebrates is quite frightening and incredibly common in the wilderness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people should respect more other people's tastes. I mean we mantis lovers can't consider chameleon lovers as monsters because they feed mantises to their pets. Of course it bothers to see a pet that we so hard try to raise and take care of being munched by another predator, but there's no need to argue about it. I would argue if the species was at least in danger of extinction, otherwise i wouldn't care as long as they aren't my praying-mantises.

Imagine a forum of grasshopper/cricket/butterfly lovers for example, When they find this thread they might think we are all monsters too because we give those bugs regularly as food for our pets but we don't give a c*** about the victims. We just care about the ones we take care of, and so do the chameleon, snake, shark or dinosaur people. This is nature with a Human touch! Live with it!

As long as the person in question wants to raise the mantids, whatever their fate, must be welcome here. The only people that aren't welcome are those not interested in keeping or raising them. That's my personal opinion. I don't know about you but "i find your lack of respect disturbing".
you are right, mostly. i apologize small pet feeders. i do not though SUPPORT using mantids as feeders. this is not the forum for that. if you want to do i will not stop you but do not tell it to my face. i care alot about these guys. this is getting really off topic so if anyone wants to continue this part of the discussion make a new thread.

OMG! GET OVER IT ALREADY!

I WILL BE shipping mantids to this person Monday. GOT AN ISSUE? HAVE A TISSUE!

Last edited by a moderator:

By the way Small Pet Feeders, i got images and footage of some of my mantids eating small lizards, but i find it too cruel to be posted. A praying-mantis eating bugs is one thing and it's already pretty gruesome, but when they eat vertebrates is quite frightening and incredibly common in the wilderness.
Thank you. I appreciate your support. And just to be clear, mantids as feeders, as far as SPF is concerned, is still just a prospective idea. As many have said before, raising them as feeders may not be worth the time spent caring for them. But where there's a demand...

I'd actually be pretty interested in seeing a video like that. I didn't know Mantids could get that mean or vicious. Can mantids hurt a human at all?

you are right, mostly. i apologize small pet feeders. i do not though SUPPORT using mantids as feeders. this is not the forum for that. if you want to do i will not stop you but do not tell it to my face. i care alot about these guys. this is getting really off topic so if anyone wants to continue this part of the discussion make a new thread.
As Domanating said, I came to this forum to learn to raise mantids, whether as a pet or as food for another pet. Some people feed fluffy lil bunny rabbits to snakes that squeeze their eyeballs out, or goats to the vicious T-rex at Jurassic Park (yea buddy). Trust me, a mantids demise is nowhere near as gutwrenching. At the same time, I spent some time thinking about your perspective after writing my last post, and I realized something: your anger is coming from the idea of feeding one of your pet mantids to a lizard. Once again, this isn't the case, and I assure you your mantids are safe and sound in their cages right now...or are they? :shifty:

I understand how that can be a little upsetting, but rest assured whatever mantids that are fed to a lizard, at least by me (not that I have before), won't be treated as pets anymore than you treat your feeder crickets as pets. I won't be feeding a beautiful Ghost or other ornamental mantid to a lizard, I'm not here to traumatize you man. Let's make peace, not war man.

OMG! GET OVER IT ALREADY!

I WILL BE shipping mantids to this person Monday. GOT AN ISSUE? HAVE A TISSUE!
LOL I can't wait Patrick! I've already got 4 cages set up for them. What should I be putting in each of them for the specific Mantids you're sending me? And if I threw some extra eggs in there, could you send a Budwing too?

No problem. It was on my list to add as a "bonus" already. :lol: There is also going to be a mystery nymph inside. It's a mystery because I don't know what it is. I received them in a trade. They are probably L2-L3 and pretty good at chasing down fruit flies. I am digging their aggressiveness. Good luck with them all.

i went to far you are right. i would love to do a trade with you in the future for some crickets. you are getting ghosts right? pm if you have any questions.

I'm always open to trades, but after this shipment from Patrick, I think I'm set in my mantis hobby for now.

I could however always need new feeder mantids. Have any extras?

:p lol

Sphodromantis Lineola! or any other Sphodromantis spec.
I agree.

Any sphodro (lineola, viridis, blue flash, etc.) are the best and hardiest mantids for a beginner.

They grow fast, are not picky eaters, do not require fancy set-ups, and are people friendly (past

L3 or so).

So I recommend you get a sub-adult sphodro and work your way up from them as you learn.

Latest posts