Only one baby hatched....

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lois15

Reaction score
Yesturday, one mmantis hatched from the egg case in my room. I came home and found it dead and haning from the ooth. I am wonering why the others didnt hatch? Will they hatch???

What species is it? Maybe you should increase the humidity so if any more do hatch out they won't get stuck in the process.

Yesturday, one mmantis hatched from the egg case in my room. I came home and found it dead and haning from the ooth. I am wonering why the others didnt hatch? Will they hatch???
The ootheca was likely kept too dry. I'd give it a few days but with only one hatching and not making it out chances aren't good.

Thank you everyone for the help. Sometime this weekened they hatched while i was on a vacation. Not very many hatched though....

Im not sure what species they are, but im guessing that they are Chinese baceause I bought them at Home depot and they were considered an organic pest control.

Is there anyother species that it could be? And how long can the hatchings last?

but im guessing that they are Chinese Is there anyother species that it could be? And how long can the hatchings last?
It's very unlikely it would be something other than the Chinese. It's unlikely you'd get more hatching but not impossible.

I came home from shopping today to find two more baby mantids in the container with the egg. Im pretty sure that they just hatched because I took all the babies that Im not keeping and released them outside. I also noticed that there are a few alive babies still stuck hanging from the egg. They wiggle a little but dont move their legs. Is there anything I can do to help them? One did pull itself free, but all of its back legs are stuck together. It drags itself along with its front legs. Is there anything that can be done to help it, or will it die?

There is nothin you can do, the legs will be crippled even if they are seperated. I have tried many times to help them, it just does not work, sorry. :(

Many of my hatching mantises are getting globs of stuff stuck to their back feet (Im guessing something from the ooth) One has gunk connecting the two back feet so it kinda flops along. Would trying to rip the stuff of the legs be ok? Or will they remove it themselves? Thanks everyone for all the help!

Latest posts