Ooth care 101

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apora090

Reaction score
Hi,

I found a Mantis about 2 months ago that has become my pet. About a month after having her i realised it laid an ooth. I really have no experience with Mantid at all or ooth especially. I was wondering is someone could tell me the most important things to know about caring for an ooth and having a successful hatch.

Much appreciated.

Was she an adult when u found her? She would of had her wings already and not molted out of her skin if she was adult. All u need to do is attach it to a lid on the cup u r gonna hatch them in (if she was adult and probably mated), and mist them about three times a week and within 6 weeks they should hatch.

Was she an adult when u found her? She would of had her wings already and not molted out of her skin if she was adult. All u need to do is attach it to a lid on the cup u r gonna hatch them in (if she was adult and probably mated), and mist them about three times a week and within 6 weeks they should hatch.
Really freaky... about 3-4 weeks ago i noticed was i am pretty certain is a ooth. An just now as i was about clean my tank i noticed the mantid is laying an ooth as week speak. Is that possible that it can lay 2 a few weeks apart?

She was an adult when i found her. Ive had her for 2 months now and she hasnt shed her skin. In fact its nearly the end of winter in Asutralia so from what i understand its amazing that she is still alive.

Currently i have the mantid and ooth in a fishbowl. Should i separate the mantid and ooth? Is it ok in a fish bowl?

If the ooth hatches can i feel the nymps small crickets?

Thanks for the help

Really freaky... about 3-4 weeks ago i noticed was i am pretty certain is a ooth. An just now as i was about clean my tank i noticed the mantid is laying an ooth as week speak. Is that possible that it can lay 2 a few weeks apart?She was an adult when i found her. Ive had her for 2 months now and she hasnt shed her skin. In fact its nearly the end of winter in Asutralia so from what i understand its amazing that she is still alive.

Currently i have the mantid and ooth in a fishbowl. Should i separate the mantid and ooth? Is it ok in a fish bowl?

If the ooth hatches can i feel the nymps small crickets?

Thanks for the help
Yep, that sounds about right. She will likely lay more than that. If she laid an ooth she is an adult. The ooth can stay in a fish bowl. Care for it like Rebecca said above. Fruit flies are a better food for them but pinhead crickets can work.

Im not sure what type of mantis it is. Maybe you can help shed some light on the issue. It is 6 cm long and looks exactly like the mantis in the photo (see website attachment)

http://www.ent.uga.edu/insectzoo/images/li...antis_large.jpg

The mantid eyes are green. I found it in my garden in Victoria, Australia.

Should i separate the mantid and the ooth's?

What do you mean by attach it to a lid on the cup you are gonna hatch them in. The ooth's is on a leaf at the moment.

How many ooth's will it hatch and how many mantid will i get from one ooth.

Thanks for your help people.

Im not sure what type of mantis it is. Maybe you can help shed some light on the issue. It is 6 cm long and looks exactly like the mantis in the photo (see website attachment)http://www.ent.uga.edu/insectzoo/images/li...antis_large.jpg

The mantid eyes are green. I found it in my garden in Victoria, Australia.

Should i separate the mantid and the ooth's?

What do you mean by attach it to a lid on the cup you are gonna hatch them in. The ooth's is on a leaf at the moment.

How many ooth's will it hatch and how many mantid will i get from one ooth.

Thanks for your help people.
Hey mate,

I'm from Sydney. Didn't realise there were more Aussies on the forum :D

Considering that the link leads to an American site, I can confidently say that the mantid in the photo is not indigenous to Australia & not identical to your mantid. However, in comparing the photo to my knowledge of common Aussie species, I would say that you are keeping a Pseudomantis sp. I am raising an adult female at the moment, which I thought was the last of her generation. Does your female have full wings or half wings? Go to this link: Brisbane Insects. It might help you to identify it.

James.

Use a low heat glue gun and put a small drop of glue on the side of the leaf with out the ooth and attach the leaf to the top of a deli cup

http://cup of mantis

scroll down this web site to cup of mantis to see what it should look like.

Grant

You don't have to attach it to a lid or anything as others are suggesting just leave them where they are lain just separate the female that laid it.

You don't have to attach it to a lid or anything as others are suggesting just leave them where they are lain just separate the female that laid it.
Yeah. I just read a scientific article that said that in nature, hot glued ooths are even rarer than parthenogenic Giant Asians. :D :lol: :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts