ooth difference

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sphynx016

Reaction score
can some one please tell me the difference between t.augustipennis and s.carolina ooths ?I recently searched them up and they look the same.I also ordered whats been said to be a carolina mantis ooth but looks just like the results for t.augustipennis.

thank you

Do you have a photo? The coloration is noticeably different on Carolina. They have a white zipper line with more depth to the surround brown hues. They also tend to be fatter with noticeable starts and ends that are plump. The T. augustipennis are a flat brown with groves and tend to be long strips that trail off at the end. It took me forever to really get a handle on the differences also because I had never seen a Carolina ooth in person and so many people have them miss-labeled that have them on the net.

Here is a nice thread on the differences.

They resemble one another but T. angustipennis ooths are much larger. 

Good info in the above post but do not rely on color as it is variable based on age of ooth and other factors. 

Do you have a photo? The coloration is noticeably different on Carolina. They have a white zipper line with more depth to the surround brown hues. They also tend to be fatter with noticeable starts and ends that are plump. The T. augustipennis are a flat brown with groves and tend to be long strips that trail off at the end. It took me forever to really get a handle on the differences also because I had never seen a Carolina ooth in person and so many people have them miss-labeled that have them on the net.

Here is a nice thread on the differences.
that was the exact ooth ibought that was advertised as s carolina!

There are so many people selling ooths and not even posting when they were mated, what ooth they are sending (problems when u purchase a few at a time) or anything else. They see an easy way to make money and care less what they send you.

There are so many people selling ooths and not even posting when they were mated, what ooth they are sending (problems when u purchase a few at a time) or anything else. They see an easy way to make money and care less what they send you.
So true!  This is the reason why I usually  only buy nymphs

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh, memories!!! Boy did I get screwed on Ebay... I learned my lesson not to buy from Ebay ever again, I just wish I found this forum before I placed that order :D I wound up buying Nymphs from Mikhalis and they were incredibly healthy and sooooo cute! If you can't get an ooth I second MantisGalore's recommendation to buy nymphs.

Hey all, anyone have opinion or experience with praying Mantis Inn  on Ebay? Do they sell the correct egg cases labeled Carolina egg cases? I tried to look them up in breeder feedback, but nothing came up. Here is their ad, let me know what you think:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152005350887
That is not Stagmomantis carolina as usual, those ooths are Tenodera angustipennis (I don't know the seller, but they haven't a clue as they are not Carolina as they say). Those are usually from sellers in the southern states (or warmer climates) as the Tenodera angustipennis are typically found there, and Stagmomantis carolina are not as common.

The coloring is wrong, the ooth is very long and narrow, and has depressions (concave lines) beside the hatch area. Here are some Carolina ooths I collected from outside yesterday (the two on the ends have some insect/mite damage to the ends).

I have contacted many of the ebay sellers before to inform them of the species they are selling; however, the messages are ignored or they just say thanks (of course they never update their auctions). They wouldn't sell nearly as many if they did list the correct species, so they lie to sell them.

View attachment 7125

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all, anyone have opinion or experience with praying Mantis Inn  on Ebay? Do they sell the correct egg cases labeled Carolina egg cases? I tried to look them up in breeder feedback, but nothing came up. Here is their ad, let me know what you think:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152005350887
Wrong species and the person is rather rude so I would suggest avoiding them. A few months back when I was looking I inquired if they could verify they had the right species and they gave a very vague curt response. When I asked if I could see specific photos of the ootheca instead of stock images they stated it would be a waste of their time so I didn't purchase. It also doesn't help they are using a stock image of a Tenodera angustipennis ootheca along with a photo of a female laying an ootheca for all their Carolina listings . . .

Wrong species and the person is rather rude so I would suggest avoiding them. A few months back when I was looking I inquired if they could verify they had the right species and they gave a very vague curt response. When I asked if I could see specific photos of the ootheca instead of stock images they stated it would be a waste of their time so I didn't purchase. It also doesn't help they are using a stock image of a Tenodera angustipennis ootheca along with a photo of a female laying an ootheca for all their Carolina listings . . .
They even threw in a photo of a Tenodara sinensis ooth hatching as well in their auction.

Glad to see you know of the seller, I've contacted them before and was one who simply ignored my messages. Guess I should be thankful he didn't try to get crappy about it, but then of course using the ebay message system they would have proof if they cared. ;)

They even threw in a photo of a Tenodara sinensis ooth hatching as well in their auction.

Glad to see you know of the seller, I've contacted them before and was one who simply ignored my messages. Guess I should be thankful he didn't try to get crappy about it, but then of course using the ebay message system they would have proof if they cared. ;)
Yah I got the impression the only reason he answered initially is he was hoping I would just go ahead and purchase one off him. It's sad that natives are so much harder to find then non-natives. =(

Yah I got the impression the only reason he answered initially is he was hoping I would just go ahead and purchase one off him. It's sad that natives are so much harder to find then non-natives. =(
That sounds about right, and sadly seems that type of person has been showing up more lately in the hobby. :(

Well at least the Angustipennis is a naturalized species, but I know what you mean. I had a hard time originally finding natives anywhere online myself, then thankfully I started to recognize and find some myself locally. Seems they are either a overlooked species as they are available local for many, or not valued as much as a exotic so they don't bother with them.

From my posts and images lately I keep getting PM's with members wanting to buy Carolina ooths. I have been helping them, but I'm nearly out of ootheca besides some for my area now, and pets for myself of course. Maybe I should just keep a breeding stock of them this year, so I can offer captive breed Carolina ooths to anyone that is looking for them on MF later. Sadly though that won't help those tricked on ebay, and even one seller offering the correct ones wouldn't do much difference either.

That sounds about right, and sadly seems that type of person has been showing up more lately in the hobby. :(

Well at least the Angustipennis is a naturalized species, but I know what you mean. I had a hard time originally finding natives anywhere online myself, then thankfully I started to recognize and find some myself locally. Seems they are either a overlooked species as they are available local for many, or not valued as much as a exotic so they don't bother with them.

From my posts and images lately I keep getting PM's with members wanting to buy Carolina ooths. I have been helping them, but I'm nearly out of ootheca besides some for my area now, and pets for myself of course. Maybe I should just keep a breeding stock of them this year, so I can offer captive breed Carolina ooths to anyone that is looking for them on MF later. Sadly though that won't help those tricked on ebay, and even one seller offering the correct ones wouldn't do much difference either.
Man if you ever end up with a spare Carolina ootheca I would love to pick one up down the line. I constantly seem to miss this species. No one ever seems to be selling when I am looking to buy. Sadly it seems like no one bothers with breeding the natives. I rarely see Phyllovates chlorophaea or Pseudovates arizonae in culture either and those guys even have an exotic feel with their interesting shapes.

Man if you ever end up with a spare Carolina ootheca I would love to pick one up down the line. I constantly seem to miss this species. No one ever seems to be selling when I am looking to buy. Sadly it seems like no one bothers with breeding the natives. I rarely see Phyllovates chlorophaea or Pseudovates arizonae in culture either and those guys even have an exotic feel with their interesting shapes.
LOL, priceless. :D Sure I am collecting some more for another member at the moment, so I'll have to see if I can find a few extra if you want any (they will be hatching in 2 to 4 weeks as it is warming up around here). It is now up to seven members since I returned, counting you. ;)

I read the native Unicorn species are become rare to find in the wild, and the hobby itself of course. Such as the Phyllovates chlorophaea are only found in the southern most portion of Texas (not sure about Mexico). Perhaps they are a difficult species to raise and/or breed successfully too. I have seen them a few times in the classifieds since I joined MF, but it is far and few for sure.

Latest posts