Ooth hatched ...now what !?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the majority of them are feeding on drosos about 8 in total have died. I wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped out and gave me advice

72263_505617022794984_801078373_n_zps7caa1333.jpg

Here is a pic of one of my hatcheries:

IMG_20130110_105551_zps7df890e7.jpg

I still have the ooth glued to the top. Next to it is the funnel I made from a piece of paper and tape. I place the funnel in the top where the blue piece of sponge is sticking out of and dump a bunch of fruit flies in. Otherwise the nymphs try to escape. I also use mesh instead of screen on the side because FF can escape through screen. I leave them in there until they become a more manageable number to deal with. Hope this helps to give you a visual of how I hatch the little boogers.

If you order a fruit fly culture make sure it is a freshly made one. It should be ready to go when it arrives. When you get a good culture you will never need to buy them again. They are easy to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really great info.  I'm glad I signed up to this forum.  I was stressing on what to do with all of the nymphs now that my H. Membranacea finally hatched.  The only question I have now is regarding which size container to start separating them into in a couple of weeks. At first I was going to order 100 32 oz containers and fabric lids, but i've began contemplating using 5 oz containers for a while.  Should I go with a 16 oz?

This is really great info.  I'm glad I signed up to this forum.  I was stressing on what to do with all of the nymphs now that my H. Membranacea finally hatched.  The only question I have now is regarding which size container to start separating them into in a couple of weeks. At first I was going to order 100 32 oz containers and fabric lids, but i've began contemplating using 5 oz containers for a while.  Should I go with a 16 oz?

Check this out in enclosures and housing CosbyArt address this topic hope this helps.