Ooth hatched

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tszabo86

Reaction score
I came home after a walk late last night and discovered that the Ootheca hatched!! The only problem is that it seems that some of the mantids have something on their back legs that doesnt seem to come off, looks like part of the ootheca maybe... also some have been hanging there since last night, same problem looks like whatever is attached to their back legs is not coming off... any way to fix this?

T. sinensis are well known for growing sometimes akward,you may also lose many of them(random death).But with proper care they should be fine.It is a large and nice mantis to begin with but I found they are not that easy for beginners,but they are very available....

I forgot,those lame legs should grow normaly after their first molt,dont worry.But you are right sometimes the ooth materials may stuck to mantis legs when hatching or even worse...But I guess you have now like 200 of them,so it should be ok!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to worry, ooth pieces sticking to them is common and it will come off soon, let nature take care of it. And keep in mind they won't eat for a day or two as a rule.

Not to worry, ooth pieces sticking to them is common and it will come off soon, let nature take care of it. And keep in mind they won't eat for a day or two as a rule.
Funny you said that, just as i was reading your post my girlfriend texted me asking if she should look for bugs lol :) I have some Hydei coming in the mail, worse case scenario ill feed them some pinheads, thats the smallest food i can find around my area, no one seems to carry fruit flyes.

If you need fruitflies quickly: half a banana outside for 2 days,let it rot,put the rotted mixture into jars with paper towel so it absorbs moist,seal the jar with paper towel you will have your fruitflies :lol:

Funny you said that, just as i was reading your post my girlfriend texted me asking if she should look for bugs lol :) I have some Hydei coming in the mail, worse case scenario ill feed them some pinheads, thats the smallest food i can find around my area, no one seems to carry fruit flyes.
Dude I need a girlfriend that would go bug hunting for me!

Latest posts