ooth incubating technique

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisherman_Brazil

Reaction score
Hi,

I am always puzzed how to correctly incubating the ooth. So much of luck I have few success, but more are failed.

This morning an ooth that I have placed in an 700CC delicup, which I now believe up side down the direction, but had hatched out handsomely. Also, I am told to sprey daily or every other day with light or heavy mist. What exactly of these description shall be precisely performed?

P1010225.jpg

P1010224.jpg

Here is the setup for my ooth incubation, the deli cups are placed in a container (translucent with pick cover and white lid allow to open for ventilation keep the right temperature and humidity, which are read from the gauges stick upon inside the container wall), and the white manmade materials substrate to hold the extra the waters needed.

So my question is how to incubate the ooth correctly, or how to do everything right except being non_fertile, for which appears to be out of control.

P1010226.jpg

P1010227.jpg

Any input will be appreciated,

Thanks

Luke

The ooth in the first pic is upside down. I just keep them in a container with moist spaghnum moss.

Thanks Rick and thanks to Ben M.

What your teaching is clear to me, that we shall keep up the moisture level, or the RH. Are you gentleman always have good hatching rate by using just keeping humdity level?

Also, some of gentlemen here are biologist, can you be kind enough give us a lesson what is the "mechanism of hatching" or why why we need to keep the humidity at specific level.

Frankly speaking, I do not have good hatching rate since July for the most foreign species, when the temperature reach up to 90F or 32C. Can you beleive, 4 orchid ooths, hatched only 1 nymph and the very one died the next day. Could that have been the cause I over sprayed the ooth, and "killed" the nymphs?

There must be something wrong I have done! Need help on this really!

Any comment or advice is welcome.

Luke

I don't really do anything with the ooths I receive. I just leave them hanging at the top on the container and spray it once in a while. They usually hatch.

When I read this I am always confused if you folks are spraying the ooth or the container the ooth is in.

do you get the ooth moist?

Otter

When I read this I am always confused if you folks are spraying the ooth or the container the ooth is in.do you get the ooth moist?

Otter
I just keep the spaghnum moss moist and just a little bit on the sides of the enclosure. Maybe get a little on the ooth but it is not needed. I don't mist often really for ooths.

Hello ! I'm a newbie in keeping mantids. :rolleyes: And I also have the same question is ---> We can spray on the ootheca? or We cannot spray on the ootheca? :unsure:

Hello ! I'm a newbie in keeping mantids. :rolleyes: And I also have the same question is ---> We can spray on the ootheca? or We cannot spray on the ootheca? :unsure:
YOu can if you want. They get wet when it rains. I wouldn't soak it down every time though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts