Ooth Incubation

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shfty

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have a quick question, I was wondering if the amount of moister near my ooth can cause mold or any negative effects to my ooth.

My ooth is incubating at a temp of 24-26c, it is in a 1ltr. container with a sponge at the bottom and some tamale skins for the nymphs to grab on to. The water that is sprayed on the sponge evaporates and condenses at the top of the container where it sits. I am worried that the water droplets will promote unwanted mold or fungus so i have been drying it up.

Take a look and would someone be so kind as to tell me if I am taking proper care or potentially harming my ooth

DSC04826_zpse1c9bc4f.jpg

DSC04823_zpsea8d2195.jpg

Thanks

Ivan

That might be too wet and start to breed "nasties". A little condensation is ok, but I might go with more ventilation. You don't want the water to stagnate or start mold or fungus cultures. I think it's better to spray and let dry before spraying again than keeping it wet all the time.

its not that easy to see in the picture but there are about 15 holes in the lid

That might be too wet and start to breed "nasties". A little condensation is ok, but I might go with more ventilation. You don't want the water to stagnate or start mold or fungus cultures. I think it's better to spray and let dry before spraying again than keeping it wet all the time.
i have been wiping the excess water at night and in the morning i spray the sponge once

Hi I'm from Mexico, beautiful :) ootheca, what kind is it, good observation: the container is very wet, all of mantis egg cases it is the species must be rosiar 1-2 times a day, but unlike the photo is too wet. I recommend mejar least the boat;)

sorry for my English, the translator is not very good: p

Another recommendation would be to change the "skins tamales";) by plastic mesh that is better than anything, and that is not organic and does not create MUSHROOMS!

Hola Ikeer no tienes que traducir, entiendo el español bien :p

I checked the ooth this morning after i modified the container and the condensation was gone. All seems to be in order and i hope something hatches soon.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. Ohhh and the species is Hierodula unimaculata

More ventilation carnal, or you'll end up with tamales crudos and ooth. :eek:
Funny :)

I usually shred the tamale husks thinner than that. I've noticed that I have to change the husks when it gets too moist because of mold issues also. But if kept under control its no problem. Looks like you definitely need more ventilation if you haven't corrected it yet.