ooth trouble

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

Reaction score
well, I have a female mantis that I just noticed is laying an ooth, but she has already connected the container and lid, so if I open it the ooth will be ruined. What should I do? I really want this ooth...

You could try waiting until the ooth dries, then cut around the ooth? Or you could try to take the female out of the container (and any food), and leave that container for the ooths to hatch in (depending on the size of the holes). Or you could try and slide your hand into the container and gently pry the ooth off, after it dries. Good luck, I know that must suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the container is sealed shut so he can't do any of that....

The ooth will dry and shrink with in a few days. Then you should be able to open the container carefully and not damage the ooth. What other choice do you have?

Scott

okay thanks, I don't have it sealed just rested the cover over it a waited it down just in case so I can still feed her. I had a feeling this would happen, but just not so quickly! How long until the ooth will be dry enough?

If you can reach in at all, you could always try using a very sharp razor to pry/slice the ooth off. carefully! so you dont nick the babies. ive done it before with success :)

Give it a few days and then carefully open the lid. Done it dozens of times. Not a big deal.

Latest posts