Ootheca pic

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a male eating a small cicada. Getting closer to the final molt and we'll finally see what it is! Haha, no big deal, maybe S. limbata? What's that other one where the sp name starts with a "v"? Oh well, just have to wait.

Dscn7296.jpg

Nice pic. Judging by the way your's looks, I'd say mine are the same instar (sub-adult). I do know people didn't know if it was limbata, californica, or carolina. I don't know what "V" you're talking about. Good luck.

Yeah I'm considering all. Somebody ruled out S. carolina, but I haven't in my own mind, just going to have to wait and see. I found that other name, it was Stagmomantis venusta.

Never heard of "S. venusta". Where did you find info on it? I don't think any Stegmomantis with a name like that is native.

I still think you've got S. limbata. All of mine have those nice stipes! Love the tiger stripe camo pattern.

Sweeeet caroline...u, ...bla bla bla bla bla bla blaaaa, me too, anyway, I'm thinking they might be S. carolina that may look a little diff because maybe over 1000's of generations, their coloration has adapted to the environment I found them in :huh: . That's just my guess. Well gotta go to the porch light and get food for them again.

"I still think you've got S. limbata. All of mine have those nice stipes! Love the tiger stripe camo pattern."

I've seen plenty of pics of S. limbata with stripes too, assuming they got the ID right so who knows?.... sure could be S. limbata, we will find out any day now. A little off topic, when comparing S. limbata and S. carolina, does one species generally get bigger than the other?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link! I do not know how accurate the site is though. Quite possible that I would not have heard of that species. But I doubt there would be 3 seperate genera that were unknown to me. I have forwarded it to another member and will wait for him to have a look at it. Maybe I have just been spending too much time under my rock!!

Thanks for the link! I do not know how accurate the site is though. Quite possible that I would not have heard of that species. But I doubt there would be 3 seperate genera that were unknown to me. I have forwarded it to another member and will wait for him to have a look at it. Maybe I have just been spending too much time under my rock!!
Maybe a revision to your infamous key is in order? :lol:

LOL@under my rock.

Woosh!, had a few drinks last night, had to log on today and see if I said anything crazy. Cool, I'm curious to see what you find out about that species. Maybe that site hasn't been revised, it might be old. I spend too much time looking Under rocks, maybe I've seen you.

I was actually thinking some revisions had been done that I didn't know about. Maybe someone has done some taxonomic work for a paper.

I would love to add to that key! But I want some info first. Since I have not heard of the "new" species listed, I don't know what features to write into the key. But I will make any additions necessary should that site's info get verified!

Which rocks have you been looking under? Did you find my bottle of Baileys? I lost it while under a rock and just can't remember which one!

[SIZE=12pt] :eek: Oh Darn! Was that yours? It is poison and I poured it out :rolleyes: [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]No, that wasn't it, I tripped over that big rock you guys were sleeping under...& it accidently fell out of my poor hands and broke...No, wait a minute, The sun dried it up, yea that was it ... the Sun! :lol: [/SIZE]

"Oh Darn! Was that yours? It is poison and I poured it out No, that wasn't it, I tripped over that big rock you guys were sleeping under...& it accidently fell out of my poor hands and broke...No, wait a minute, The sun dried it up, yea that was it ... the Sun!"

Dang! you beat me to it. It is poison right?, ..certainly not good for you. It's just for special occasions, like when the sun comes up :p haha, just kiddin, I don't see how some people do that. Anyway, one more pic before the final molt. I don't know how to describe that color, kinda neat though.

Dscn7403.jpg

I think it's a carolina. Not really familiar with any stagmomantis sp. though.

BTW: congratulations on a cool mantis. Will you breed them?

I tried to get one to go into a threat pose to see the wings but I haven't seen one do it yet. I can see enough under the wing covers to see that they are yellow though. Yellow and black. So finally we are seeing that they are S. limbata? I've got 3 females and some males. I may as well breed them later.

Latest posts