Oral guide to mantid binomials

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gripen

Reaction score
this is an attempt to try to see if every one can have a common pronunciation for mantid binomials.

well here goes nothing:

Acanthops_Ak-an-thops

Acontista multicolor_Ak-on-ti-sta mul-ty-color

Blepharopsis mendica_Blef-are-op-sis men-dik-a

Brunneria borealis_Broon-air-ee-a bore-ee-al-iss

Creobroter apicallis_Kree-oh-brought-err ap-pic-ale-is

Creobroter gemmatus_Kree-oh-brought-err gem-at-is

Creobroter pictipennis_Kree-oh-brught-err pik-ti-pennis

Deroplatys dessicata_Dair-oh-play-tees dess-ih-cay-ta

Deroplatys lobata_Dair-oh-play-tees low-bay-ta

Gongylus gongylodes_Gone-gee-lus gong-ee-lo-des

Empusa pennata_Em-poo-sa pen-et-a

Hierodula multispina_Hugh-raw-d-uula multy-spee-nah

Hierodula majuscula_Hugh-raw-d-uula mahj-uo-scuu-la

Hymenopus coronatus_Hi-men-oh-puss core-on-ah-tuss

Idolomantis diabolica_Idol-oh-man-tis dia-ball-i-cah

Idolomorpha lateralis_Idol-oh-more-fa latter-al-iss

Popa spurca_Poh-paa spurr-kaa

Phyllocrania paradoxa_Fie-low-krane-e-a pear-a-dox-a

Phyllovates chlorophaea_Fie-low-vay-tees clore-oh-fah

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii_Pugh-sude-oh-kree-oh-brogh-trah wall-berg-ee

Pseudovates arizonae_Pugh-sude-oh-vay-tees air-ih-zone-ah

Sphodromantis centralis_Sfod-row-man-tis sen-trall-iss

Sphodromantis lineola_Sfod-row-man-tis lin-e-oh-la

Tenodera sinensis_Ten-uh-dare-ah sin-en-sis

now please add some more!

edit: one more thing. these are my pronunciations so PLEASE correct me if im wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
i pronounce many of those that way :)

REMEMBER: ALL "C"s in Latin r pronounced like a "K"!!!!!

and u spelled "pictipennis wrong :p lol

here r a few others:

Creobroter gemmatus- Kre-oh-brought-err gem-at-is

Creobroter pictipennis-" " pick-te-penn-iss

Creobroter apicallis- " "ap-pickle-is

Popa spurca- Poh-paa spurr-ka

Cool thread. ...yeah, I've got nothing to add other than my appreciation and that I think my pronunciations line up with what's been described thus far. :)

This shoul be helpful to many, but you might want to give additional help by printing the stressed syllables in block letters, thus: Em-p-oo sa pen-ate-a I would also add in my elderly, pedantic way, that it is hard to reach a consensus about pronunciation. Remember that popular Christian "poem" "Desiderata" ? If I were to mention it at all, I would pronounce the first "a" as "ah" and do the same with pennata", but that brings us back to the old tomato joke, doesn't it? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7sYNptYjsE\

But neither Fred nor Ginger, Young Alex, would pronounce paradox as "pearadox", and the same goes for "paradoxa".! Check with your magister Latinum! :)

PHIL!!!! u used the nominative and accusative forms right but magister and Latinum are both nouns!!! u either need to add a connecting verb to that sentence so the subject is doing something to the object or find a Latin word for the title of Latin Teacher!!!

anyways the pear is like the fruit, i pronounce pear like "pare" and i thought most peeps did cause most peeps here do :)

This shoul be helpful to many, but you might want to give additional help by printing the stressed syllables in block letters, thus: Em-p-oo sa pen-ate-a I would also add in my elderly, pedantic way, that it is hard to reach a consensus about pronunciation. Remember that popular Christian "poem" "Desiderata" ? If I were to mention it at all, I would pronounce the first "a" as "ah" and do the same with pennata", but that brings us back to the old tomato joke, doesn't it? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7sYNptYjsE\

But neither Fred nor Ginger, Young Alex, would pronounce paradox as "pearadox", and the same goes for "paradoxa".! Check with your magister Latinum! :)
thank you Phil! i will do my best to compile some more tonight. and pennata pennahta (i pronounce it the second way but i thought the first was more correct!)

The

can i ad every ones suggestions to the first post?
Gongylus.The Y in latin is pronounced the same as "ee"not "eye". Also "gongylondes",the end should be pronounced lon-des not "loads". :cowboy:

Oh dear. Just as we are doing so well with our Latin, I suppose that I should mention that binomials are not really written in Latin but in "scientific mishmash", which contains Greek and Latin words, a few imports from other languages, nonsense names and Latinizations..

Scientists tend to be no better at classical languages than classical linguists are at science, though they often have an"expert" advise them in gender agreement between the genus and species name. If you tried to interpret "Creobroter" as Latin for example, you would get "creation" from "creo" and then get stuck on "broter". which has no Latin precursor. The name, instead is Greek for "flesh eater"; "pictipennis, though, is Latin for "painted wing, and "gemmatus" is Latin for "budded", presumably referring to the nymphs.

A scientific word that has caused much amusement among classical scholars is "perihelion", where the first syllable is Latin and the second, Greek. Also, of course, they latinize people's and geographical names into fake Latin, like Oligonicella scudderi and Pseudovates arizonae. Did you know that Orin 's name is used as a species name? I am sure that he will be happy to give a prize to the first membert who thinks of it, but don't quote me. :)

The same is true of pronunciation, No one knows exactly how Romans spoke Latin, and there was probably a wide variation between classes and regions. Lower class Roman citizens , for example, only used three tenses, present, future simple and past historic, if I remember, and would tell you where to stick you pluperfect if you used it on them. Scientific terminology doesn;t really follow any classical rules, and "centralis" is pronounced to my certain knowledge as "sentralis" and not, pace

Young Alex as "kentralis" unless you come from Dusseldorf.

And please, please, do not let this deter you from what is a very interesting and worthwhile project, even if it only encourages members to speak these words out loud and make friends with them. Many of us foolishly shy away from "difficult" words, though we are happy to quote the latest wisdom about "macrobiotic diets" and polyunsaturated fats" whether we understand what they are or not.

Also, in the "please, please" department, capitalize the genus name and not the species name!

O.K. Henry, let's see a merry video on this! :D

no one knows how they spoke latin but we know some....The C was pronounced "K" ,the "S" came later,so it would have been "Kentralis" at that time(until the romanisation of latin).It is nowadays pronounced "S".

Upper Roman class would use only Greek as language...Latin was for lower class.

Latest posts