Orchid adult female bitten

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been feeding my orchids yellow jackets and today one got bit. I did not know they could bite them. I dropped it in the container and she did not go for it, it turned around and got on her head and she was fighting to get it off with her arms and I tore the lid off and used my forcepts to grab it and only suceeded in pulling the body off, the head of the yellow jacket was still attached to the back of her neck, I had a hard time pulling it off, and fluid was coming from her neck when I finally got it off.

:mellow: Now I have to make sure I squeeze their head with the forceps to disable them before feeding to them, and I am also cutting or pulling off the stinger now too, [SIZE=14pt]I afraid now! I hope she makes it.[/SIZE]

Eesh. :( That's a bit of a surprise after reading about the general success with feeding bees and wasps. Good luck to her!

Oh i am surprised at that, thats a first for me but like a narrator once said " nothings invulnerable in nature ".

If a mantids not hunting and a wasp is... well i guess your well aware of the rest :(

I hope shes alright :)

:mellow:

OH God, it was awful, I turned around when I heard her fighting it, she was flailing her arms around her head and it was wrapped around her head, I had no idea, no idea at all, never heard of danger other than a sting. So far she is just sitting there, probably thinking, what the H e .... why did she dump that in my house :eek:

:mellow: OH God, it was awful, I turned around when I heard her fighting it, she was flailing her arms around her head and it was wrapped around her head, I had no idea, no idea at all, never heard of danger other than a sting. So far she is just sitting there, probably thinking, what the H e .... why did she dump that in my house :eek:
How is she now?

Just sitting there, I try to turn their light off at 8:30 most nights... haha! like that happens, but tonight I did, so I will see how she is in the morning.

<_< Well she is still alive, not eating, but if my food attacked me I dare say I wouldn't either :lol: . we'll see how she is tomorrow, and I must tell you, I am catching a dozen of those devils a day and smashing their bloody heads!

<_< Well she is still alive, not eating, but if my food attacked me I dare say I wouldn't either :lol: . we'll see how she is tomorrow, and I must tell you, I am catching a dozen of those devils a day and smashing their bloody heads!
lol, you sound like me. Except I'm too afraid to catch those things. :D

Odds are the Yellow Jacket is a Vespula vulgaris, V. germanica or V. maculifrons. These wasps have powerful and well developed mandibles which could easily damage a mantid if the wasp got ion a position to bite.

S-

Latest posts