Orchid enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are being kept a bit cooler than the rest of yours and haven't molted yet. They have been refusing food the last few days though and are quite fat, so I'm thinking in the next day or so they'll molt. Hoping all make it since I only have 5 of them.

Does anyone know of a link that has the average interval between links for the Orchid mantis? I didn't keep track the first time I had them. I thought all of mine had molted to L3 by December 26. One of my nymphs molted to today, and it must be L4. The others don't seem to be eating.

Smart using the fish tank heater as a way to promote humidity! I didn't think about that !
Thanks. I stole the bubble idea from the dart frog forums. The heater has been working well

Does anyone know of a link that has the average interval between links for the Orchid mantis? I didn't keep track the first time I had them. I thought all of mine had molted to L3 by December 26. One of my nymphs molted to today, and it must be L4. The others don't seem to be eating.
I don't have a link but I was told by master yen that from l1 - 4 should take 10 days between molts. After that it will increase around 3 weeks for the last few.

Most of mine molted to L4 today. Two are still waiting. No deaths

Enclosure is still doing a good job keeping the temps and rh steady. I did change the bulb from a 38w to a 25w to lower the temps. brought it down from the low 80s to the mid 70s.

Thanks. I stole the bubble idea from the dart frog forums. The heater has been working well

I don't have a link but I was told by master yen that from l1 - 4 should take 10 days between molts. After that it will increase around 3 weeks for the last few.

Most of mine molted to L4 today. Two are still waiting. No deaths

Enclosure is still doing a good job keeping the temps and rh steady. I did change the bulb from a 38w to a 25w to lower the temps. brought it down from the low 80s to the mid 70s.
That's good to hear that you are doing well. Six of mine have molted to L4. I have one that isn't eating and suspect it will molt soon.

I guess it isn't the orchid enclosure anymore. I have added more species( nymphs and ooths) and all have been thriving. No deaths from anything I have put in here so far.

Can't say the same for the ones getting their cups misted everyday on the bookshelf :(

I guess it isn't the orchid enclosure anymore. I have added more species( nymphs and ooths) and all have been thriving. No deaths from anything I have put in here so far.

Can't say the same for the ones getting their cups misted everyday on the bookshelf :(
I mist my orchid 3 times a day. I've never had any problems.

Since I used to be bad about misting, I mist every cup 3 times a day. Takes only 10 minutes. But I have had a mismolt in many months

My Hierodula female has stopped eating. I think she is gonna molt to adult!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I got my chameleons my humidity is through the roof. With regular cage mistings and live plants, it's like a sauna in that room(if I keep the door closed). Humidity can go from 52 to 29 in a matter of minutes with the door left open.

I also added a new Enviracaire humidifier, thanks to a recommendation from Precarious. Not only is it more humid, but there is a certain "peace" that comes with the lack of a fan blowing 24/7. AND...The warm mist actually seems to heat the room, as well. I run in there on cold mornings and shut the door.

Since I got my chameleons my humidity is through the roof. With regular cage mistings and live plants, it's like a sauna in that room(if I keep the door closed). Humidity can go from 52 to 29 in a matter of minutes with the door left open.

I also added a new Enviracaire humidifier, thanks to a recommendation from Precarious. Not only is it more humid, but there is a certain "peace" that comes with the lack of a fan blowing 24/7. AND...The warm mist actually seems to heat the room, as well. I run in there on cold mornings and shut the door.
You are making me want chameleons again!

I had a mistking that kept the humidity up for my ambilobes.

GET SOME! They are very rewarding as you already know. They are a little more involved than mantids with supplementation, lighting, feeding, and watering. All in all there have been no problems, except my worrying about silly stuff that I needn't be. :lol:

Oh...And the humidifier from iAllergy was a little over $100 including shipping. I am very happy with it. http://www.iallergy.com/product_info.php?products_id=169

Latest posts