Orchid female eats (photos & video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Her first meal after pre-sub or sub molt...

Orch_2359-sm.jpg

Orch_2361-sm.jpg

Orch_2358-sm.jpg

Orch_2351-sm.jpg

Orch_2366-sm.jpg

Orch_2373-sm.jpg

Orch_2375-sm.jpg

Orch_2367-sm.jpg

Orch_2369-sm.jpg

Orch_2349-sm.jpg

Great stuff as always, these are quickly becoming one of my favorite species, so much so I think a breeding attempt is in order in my top secret bug lab(area 51.5), thanks to a friend who trusts my mantis green thumb. :D ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! I was helping out at the zoo a couple months back and Entomo-logic got three adult females and an adult male. Luckily one of the other keepers found a Luna moth in the hatching room that had a bad hatch (It came out deformed and with only two wing "buds" instead of four wings), so we gave that to one of the females as a distraction and let the male in her cage. I came back a couple weeks later and they had mated and the female laid a big fertile ooth. The moth was so huge it probably took the female all night to finish it, so the male had plenty of time to mount.

nice girl, how old are your males?
I'm not sure exactly what instar any of them are because they were at different stages when I received them, but it appears the females are well ahead of the males in molts. I've been heating the females and giving them lots of flies. Both sexes have wing buds so I believe they are all either pre or sub right now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Would really love to get footage and pics of those little red nymphs hatching! :)

I can imagine your pics an vids, I hope you are lucky enough to film some hatches.

Fantastic, amazing photos as always, the mega-macro of eating the fly - yowza!

I hope to get some similar when my orchids get bigger and I get better at shooting them.

Fantastic, amazing photos as always, the mega-macro of eating the fly - yowza!

I hope to get some similar when my orchids get bigger and I get better at shooting them.
Thanks! Very little cropping, if any, in those "mega-macros". You'll see, once your add-ons arrive. ;)

WoW very awesome pics videos and mantids I love your art! You are an inspiration to everyone!
Thanks, man. You guys are trying to give me a big head, but I won't allow it. :p

I took a series of a new Indonesian Rhombodera species yesterday that I think is my best work so far. Watch for it. Very beautiful species.

Great photos as always man. Check out that femoral brush in the third photo-its like a toothbrush for her face
Yeah, I've been meaning to ask if anyone knows the purpose of those bristles. I see them on both sexes. I'm wondering if they are actually for grooming. That is approximately the portion of their claw that makes contact when they groom. Very interesting.

Thanks, man. You guys are trying to give me a big head, but I won't allow it. :p

I took a series of a new Indonesian Rhombodera species yesterday that I think is my best work so far. Watch for it. Very beautiful species.

Yeah, I've been meaning to ask if anyone knows the purpose of those bristles. I see them on both sexes. I'm wondering if they are actually for grooming. That is approximately the portion of their claw that makes contact when they groom. Very interesting.
I have noticed that my Heirodula multispinas have brushes too. :eek: When the light hits them, they glow like reflectors! I don't know the purpose of them, but Perhaps all mantids have them? I have noticed that my mantids like to mouth that part of thier forelegs before rubbung it over thier faces. I never gave it any thought until it was mentioned in this topic.

I have noticed that my Heirodula multispinas have brushes too. :eek: When the light hits them, they glow like reflectors! I don't know the purpose of them, but Perhaps all mantids have them? I have noticed that my mantids like to mouth that part of thier forelegs before rubbung it over thier faces. I never gave it any thought until it was mentioned in this topic.
Yup, I meant to say "I see them on both sexes of all species". I've been noticing them whenever I take photos. I'd be willing to bet it's all about grooming. Pretty cool. They have built in scrub brushes. :p

Some truly magnificent shots! What are you shooting with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some truly magnificent shots! What are you shooting with?
Thanks! I'm using a Canon T2i with EF100mm macro lens. It only goes as close as 1:1 so I use two additional high quality diopter filters; the Canon 250 D Closeup Lens and the Opteka 10x Macro. In addition to those I sometimes use 65mm of extension tubes. I'm not sure where all of that puts the magnification but I'd guess close to 3:1. Most importantly I have the Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX flash which is a fantastic unit made specifically for macro. That's the real key - good lighting.

Latest posts