Orchid Mantis has been molting for 30 hours. Problem?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejack

Reaction score
I'm new to this. She is probably on her 5th molt ever. I noticed late yesterday afternoon that she was molting. I had never seen this before, only the skin at the bottom of the cage afterwards. The size of her and her molting skin is WAY bigger than her. It was a bit alarming. But I guess that is normal? Anyway, it has been about 30 hours and she is not out of it. Is this abnormal? What do I do?

It usually takes 20 minutes TOPS. What part of her skin is she still attached to? If the front legs or the mouth is stuck I'm sorry, but she's a goner. If it's just the abdomen or back legs you might be able to pull her out.

It usually takes 20 minutes TOPS. What part of her skin is she still attached to? If the front legs or the mouth is stuck I'm sorry, but she's a goner. If it's just the abdomen or back legs you might be able to pull her out.
If its not her head or front legs, try GENTLY GENTLY pulling off the skin like your pulling it out... Good luck with that hope she makes it!!

thanks for the reply xenu. i really dont know what i am looking at - whether its her or skin. but it does seem like all of her legs are out. it seems like all of the molting skin is on her back. BUT, it also seems like her mouth is tucked towards her chest or the area between her two front legs.

if I do have to help her, and suggestions or rules to go by?

After 30 hours.... I don't know if there's any hope left. But it's worth a try. I always found that spraying some water to wet the mantis and skin helps loosen it up. And be very gentle. Even being very gentle, you still have a good chance of pulling off a leg or foot (or whatever else). Most of all, good luck!

always found that spraying some water to wet the mantis and skin helps loosen it up.
Ben. M: Hey, if you can spray water to soften the skin, you can give it a try, right? :?

Also, you can maybe try to just cut off the skin (Not attached to the mantis), but it really depends on your situation. From what you wrote, it's still attached to the head??? Also, losing a back leg or foot is not too bad; it can grow back if it survives the next molt, but can a mantis survive with skin stuck on them, or will they have troubles getting that skin off?

30 hours? Nothing you can do. By that time the new exoskeleton has hardened and whatever shape she is in is where she will stay.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think she is now dying. I wish I had been more educated sooner. My fault. I didn't have any idea how long too long was for the molt. I should have sprayed her sooner and possibly helped her sooner. I did make a very careful and slow attempt to help her last night. It took about a half hour with very fine tweezers and lots of spray, but I did get the molt off of her. But now it seems she is crippled. She won't stand up. She just lays on her belly. She tries to move, but can't go far. So sad. I guess I should put her in the freezer huh? That hurts to do that but I guess it is best from what I read here.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think she is now dying. I wish I had been more educated sooner. My fault. I didn't have any idea how long too long was for the molt. I should have sprayed her sooner and possibly helped her sooner. I did make a very careful and slow attempt to help her last night. It took about a half hour with very fine tweezers and lots of spray, but I did get the molt off of her. But now it seems she is crippled. She won't stand up. She just lays on her belly. She tries to move, but can't go far. So sad. I guess I should put her in the freezer huh? That hurts to do that but I guess it is best from what I read here.
These things happen sometimes no matter what you do. I think that was the case here.

:cry: Yeah, freezer is the way we do it here. Or you can feed her to another mantis.

Or you can freeze it, and then feed it. (So it won't feel anything) You have to pretend it's alive with tweezers or something though.

Thats bogus as heck!! How could you do that?!
######??? How is it bogus?! Or are you too narrow-minded to figure it out?(Hint: Use the...Brain) Here are detailed instructions(for those who have "problems") :roll: :

1. Freeze the orchid so it dies. (So when it gets eaten, it won't feel anything. :roll: )

2. Thaw it out, and use tweezers to grip it and act like it's moving. (So the other mantis will see it and grasp it. :roll: )

3. it is eaten( You know, for food? Unless I need to explain that has well... :roll: )

And I hope you don't need more than this.... :roll:

:roll:

Thats bogus as heck!! How could you do that?!
######??? How is it bogus?! Or are you too narrow-minded to figure it out?(Hint: Use the...Brain) Here are detailed instructions(for those who have "problems") :roll: :

1. Freeze the orchid so it dies. (So when it gets eaten, it won't feel anything. :roll: )

2. Thaw it out, and use tweezers to grip it and act like it's moving. (So the other mantis will see it and grasp it. :roll: )

3. it is eaten( You know, for food? Unless I need to explain that has well... :roll: )

And I hope you don't need more than this.... :roll:

Now let's be nice. Really, I expected more mature behaviour than this. :(

Your sentence was very misleading. It sounded like you meant to feed a dead mantis (food)

:roll:

Yes, well, I guess I overestimated the level of intelligence. If maybe he was a little more open minded and used the organ called the brain, then maybe, just maybe, he(?) would be able to figure it out. :roll:

Fine:

Or you can freeze it, and then feed the dead mantis to the live one. (So the dead one won't feel anything) You have to pretend the dead one is alive with tweezers by making the dead one move. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts