Orchid Mantis (Hymenopus Coronatus)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn

Reaction score
442882424_bfb44b6980.jpg

442889614_556f92ff9f.jpg

442889624_b26b309bb1.jpg

442906297_ebe495e0fe.jpg

466045625_09abd633c7.jpg

466057084_33b7d77fe4.jpg

466057072_0418dcd907.jpg

holy prettyness :shock:

is that little black & red guy an orchid as well? reminds me of the headhunters on felix the cat: the movie :lol:

They look like that untill they molt. The ugly duckling to a swan...

It hatched out a little under 100. I have about 50 left...

Then they turn white and pink after the first molt.

Then they turn white and pink after the first molt.
crazy. so you have a black guy one day, white the next? nothing in between? wow, now that i would like to see!
When born they are black and red and once they molt they are white and pink.

Not as good as Jenn's!

Hymenopus coronatus females:

orchidabdomen.jpg

orchidflower.jpg

orchidmoth1.jpg

orchidmoth2.jpg

orchidsubadultclose.jpg

orchidsubadultt.jpg

Orchidtable.jpg

pinkorchid.jpg

Some are on Forsythia flowers, others on a table on in their enclosures/feeding/etc.

Great pictures! They really seem to enjoy having pictures taken.. You have some very pretty pink ones... It's crazy that some are so pink and others are white.

Jenn,

Thanks! Orchid mantids often become pink if left exposed to one of two (or both) things: 1. red/purple/pink colors covering a large part of their view (I've done this before by wrapping red construction paper around their enclosure - but it doesn't always work as well for each mantid - some are better than others) or 2. really high humidity (I am talking 85-100% here) seems to bring out a natural, pale shade of pink in almost all of the females exposed to it. Male orchid mantids tend to be white, or if they do turn pink, it's usually at the subadult stage, and then they go white/brown when they molt to adult anyway. At least that has been my experience...

Thanks Yen!

You've probably raised more orchids than anyone on the planet, so, do they ever stay pink as adults? All the pictures I've ever seen indicate a white colored adult mantid, for the most part, and the few I managed to grow to adulthood last year were all white as well.

Unfortunately no :( i only see pink color adult female in first 10 minutes after molting. In most cases, they will turn into white color almost immediately after molting into adult. Probably it is the best way for them to camouflage well with the flower - with white and brown color - to avoid being an obvious target in the wild.