• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Orchid Mantises WANTED

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AikoAiko

Reaction score
Hi,

I would love to get my hands on some orchid mantises, especially a breeding pair, or nymphs appropriately aged to become a breeding pair. Please contact me if you have any. :)

Aiko

Colorado, USA

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I would love to get my hands on some orchid mantises, especially a breeding pair, or nymphs appropriately aged to become a breeding pair. Please contact me if you have any. :)

Aiko

Colorado, USA

[email protected]
there very rare at the min..hard to get.

Good luck trying to find them :) bump the thread every week ;)

Nah its £ Scott. Awfull price but I bet people will buy them.Matt
Yip, I got 2 pairs from this guy.

It's a case of supply and demand, everyone wants them but can't get them so the price goes up. I'm sure that as more of these get bred and they become as common as other species the price will come down. 'Til then the asking price will be high (or at least the total someone is willing to pay will be)

I gotta say they are worth every penny IMO, the pleasure I get from looking after them and the fact that hopefully I'll be able to breed them in the future means I'll have a lifetime supply. Just need to get the odd new individual now and again to keep inbreeding to a minimum.

Just my opinion

Huw

Yip, I got 2 pairs from this guy.It's a case of supply and demand, everyone wants them but can't get them so the price goes up. I'm sure that as more of these get bred and they become as common as other species the price will come down. 'Til then the asking price will be high (or at least the total someone is willing to pay will be)

I gotta say they are worth every penny IMO, the pleasure I get from looking after them and the fact that hopefully I'll be able to breed them in the future means I'll have a lifetime supply. Just need to get the odd new individual now and again to keep inbreeding to a minimum.

Just my opinion

Huw
True

I paid 90 for 4 L2 Orchids. I do not regret it.

If I end up with 4 of the same d*mn sex I'll be pisst though... That has been my luck here lately. <_<

Not to mention I need go buy a microscope to see which are which. My old gollege biology professor lives accross the street from me. Maybe she"ll let me borrow hers. Otherwise I fear I wont be able to start slowing the males down to be able to breed them with my females of the smae generation. That is why keeping multiple clutches of this species is so important, and a major reason why they are in short supply. Many would be breeders of this species fail to controll their growth rate properly, and are consequentially unsuccessful in mating them.

Nah its £ Scott. Awfull price but I bet people will buy them.Matt
bloody ripp off..i just bought 10 L1 for 40£,i didnt mine paying that,but your right the price has gone up so much.,if im successful with these il be selling them at 6£ each at 2nd instar.. ;) ..i got a seprate room for the males so i can cool him off..the breeder is sending them out on monday.. :)

not so long ago rob byatt was selling these for some very reasonable prices and if i remember rightly was having trouble shifting them, i think. now look at these silly prices. its strange how demand can fluctuate so much, over just a few months.

ps - about more people breeding them they will become more available and the prices will drop, i dont think this will happen. with the amount of orchids yen bred and sold in the us, you would think this species would be established somehwat over there by now, but apparently not. so what happened to all those orchids he sold?

ps - about more people breeding them they will become more available and the prices will drop, i dont think this will happen.
from what i undertand there rare because there hard to breed..the male dies off before the fmelae isnt even adult.but if u have 2 rooms at different temperatures im sure it would be just as easy as the rest of them.just a guees. :p

not so long ago rob byatt was selling these for some very reasonable prices and if i remember rightly was having trouble shifting them, i think. now look at these silly prices. its strange how demand can fluctuate so much, over just a few months.ps - about more people breeding them they will become more available and the prices will drop, i dont think this will happen. with the amount of orchids yen bred and sold in the us, you would think this species would be established somehwat over there by now, but apparently not. so what happened to all those orchids he sold?
:rolleyes:

In your second paragraph you make a valid point.......I sold hundreds last year and I know of only 2-3 people that managed to rear and breed them.

Originally everyone was killing them of by keeping them too humid (spraying 2-3 times a day :blink: ), I managed to convince people that they do not need it.

I'll have some in a couple of months - I'm six months behind with them this time :angry:

ps. they are easy to breed once you know how ;)

i want some of these as i told macro junkie. i found an ooth on here not long ago in europe selling for 125 euros roughly, to much for me but if someone else wants them and can afford it their still there.

oh, good luck breeding them macro junkie, reserve me some if you do, thatd be great

i want some of these as i told macro junkie. i found an ooth on here not long ago in europe selling for 125 euros roughly, to much for me but if someone else wants them and can afford it their still there. oh, good luck breeding them macro junkie, reserve me some if you do, thatd be great
once again that is a rip off..lol..there worth no more than 40£ imo.really annoys me people love to exploit the market

i want some of these as i told macro junkie. i found an ooth on here not long ago in europe selling for 125 euros roughly, to much for me but if someone else wants them and can afford it their still there. oh, good luck breeding them macro junkie, reserve me some if you do, thatd be great
once again that is a rip off..lol..there worth no more than 40£ imo.really annoys me people love to exploit the market
Wow, that's some price!! Having majored in economics, I wouldn't say it's anything wrong. If it's really worth that much to someone, he'll get the gem before all the other people who don't value it as much get it. If it's nowhere near the market price, then it won't even get sold and the seller won't make money. But yes, I understand. Poorer people want to be able to get things that richer people can get.

Latest posts