Orchid molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chcub

Reaction score
This is my first post here. I normally just lurk, but I thought I'd share this with you.

Today I received a healthy batch of mantids from Mantidplace, and decided to check on them all for the second time today.

I immediately noticed one of the orchids was lying flat on her belly- and not moving.

I am NO expert on keeping mantids; An amateur in every meaning of the word. When I saw the orchid lying there, it took me several moments to realize she was molting, and must have fallen and somehow ended up rightside up. I had no idea what to do- and acted on impulse.

I picked it up and held it upside down while it molted. I couldn't think of anything else. So for the next fifty minutes or so, I sat. My hand was very shaky near the end and I feared I would make her fall, but she made it through Conveniently, I had a camera near me and took a few pictures during the process- They are poor quality due to my shaky hand, and only two came out well enough to share.

CIMG0606.jpg

CIMG0607.jpg

It was very scary. ): But it made it out okay- I nearly cried with relief when it crawled down onto my hand. Its back legs are not working well, they got stuck on the shed skin, but it is able to walk fine. Hopefully it will not interfere with the next molt- I would be devastated after all this.

CIMG0610.jpg

My fingers were purple and tired, but the mantis was fine. Very worth it.

I'm glad I found it right as it was starting to molt, any later and she would have been a goner. :(

Did I do the wrong thing? I could not think of any other solution, but I am, as I have already stated, VERY amateur when it comes to keeping mantids. I have only been keeping for a little over half a year, and had no experience prior.

if they fall theres not much else, some ppl have a LOW temp glue gun and glue them back upside down, you did the right thing and by the next shed her legs will go back to normal. good job on the holding lol nice job man.

That is so awesome. I'm so glad it worked out for you. It sounds like you did the right thing. So often molts turn bad and it's the end of the manty. Just keep misting them because they're thirsty after molts. Let it had somewhere until it dries so that it dries in the correct shape. You did great work, you should be proud of yourself!

:)

Carol

This is my first post here. I normally just lurk, but I thought I'd share this with you.Today I received a healthy batch of mantids from Mantidplace, and decided to check on them all for the second time today.

I immediately noticed one of the orchids was lying flat on her belly- and not moving.

I am NO expert on keeping mantids; An amateur in every meaning of the word. When I saw the orchid lying there, it took me several moments to realize she was molting, and must have fallen and somehow ended up rightside up. I had no idea what to do- and acted on impulse.

I picked it up and held it upside down while it molted. I couldn't think of anything else. So for the next fifty minutes or so, I sat. My hand was very shaky near the end and I feared I would make her fall, but she made it through Conveniently, I had a camera near me and took a few pictures during the process- They are poor quality due to my shaky hand, and only two came out well enough to share.

CIMG0606.jpg

CIMG0607.jpg

It was very scary. ): But it made it out okay- I nearly cried with relief when it crawled down onto my hand. Its back legs are not working well, they got stuck on the shed skin, but it is able to walk fine. Hopefully it will not interfere with the next molt- I would be devastated after all this.

CIMG0610.jpg

My fingers were purple and tired, but the mantis was fine. Very worth it.

I'm glad I found it right as it was starting to molt, any later and she would have been a goner. :(

Did I do the wrong thing? I could not think of any other solution, but I am, as I have already stated, VERY amateur when it comes to keeping mantids. I have only been keeping for a little over half a year, and had no experience prior.

Whew. ^^; I thought I had done something wrong. Thanks for the replies.

I probably need to go get one of those low-heat glue guns. It sounds much better than holding them. :D

Whew. ^^; I thought I had done something wrong. Thanks for the replies.I probably need to go get one of those low-heat glue guns. It sounds much better than holding them. :D
I would not use a glue gun to glue a moulting mantis back on it's perch. What you did was just fine. Good job!

I know what you went through. I always do my best to hang a fallen mantid from a stick, but sometimes you have to hold it forever. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
You did great, chcub! ;) I applaud your perserverence holding her until she was finished. :D I've sucessfully hooked their back legs on to screening or a plant, and have even used masking tape to hang them up... but I second the motion not to use hot glue. Too dangerous I think to use around a mantis in such a fragile state especially. Plus, it's not necessary to go to that extreme.

Great job!!!!
incrediclapping.gif

Congratulations on saving your mantis. :) I've used tape before. It works better than nothing, but the results weren't spectacular.

Been there and done that. You did good. You can also just try to attach them to something using the legs of the old skin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts