Orchid molts to adult (video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, glad to see she made it successfully.
thumbs-up2.gif

I've had a few close calls too, as I imagine anyone has who has been doing it for awhile. It happens often before we realize it; although, I like to start my L3 nymphs now in a habitat large enough for an adult when possible. :) Nothing worse than loosing a mantid from a simple mismolt.

yup..that's a 32 oz delicup - what size do you have your orchids molt in (i usually use the net enclosures)
I figured it was a deli-cup, it had the slanted sides and size of one. :)

I haven't kept Orchids myself, but for any other larger species I have had, I move them into 7" tall x 6" wide x 9" long habitats (you can see it here the one with the blue lid). They were I believe originally 2 quart containers. I have also a much larger containers (one is basically a homemade net habitat too), but I tend to use those for breeding tanks only due to their large size.

phenomenal!  i am setting up some mantids in a few classrooms at our local school.  its a challenge to find an enclosure that has what the mantis needs (hanging space, appropriate humidity/ventilation ratio) where you can see the mantis and has "shelf appeal"...  thank you :)

phenomenal!  i am setting up some mantids in a few classrooms at our local school.  its a challenge to find an enclosure that has what the mantis needs (hanging space, appropriate humidity/ventilation ratio) where you can see the mantis and has "shelf appeal"...  thank you :)
Thanks, I guess you haven't seen that post yet then. ;) Your quite welcome, I didn't even realize you were interested in something like that. Although they are not as flashy as the expensive ones you can buy pre-made, they are hard to beat for about $2 or less a habitat.

With the basic instructions though you can apply it to much larger containers, such as the large plastic containers that can be found in department stores as well. Or remove all the plastic except the corners and edges, and make your own version of a mesh enclosure. Then with a bit more care or time on creating them, you can make them look really great (I've seen a few that were much nicer than my finished ones). :D

thanks benji - watching those wings unfurl is a trip!
Indeed it is! The best one I got to witness was my Deroplatys lobata girl. Those things seemed to almost inflate. :D I think watching the final molt is about as exciting as watching them hatch from a ooth. ;)

Latest posts