'overwintering' fly pupae

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtmonkey

Reaction score
I've trapped some green bottle flies, and want to culture them before the wild ones disappear for the winter. Right now I only have one Mantis, so I don't need a lot of flies at once. I've read about how blue bottle pupae tend to die off in the refrigerator over A short time, but I know these flies overwinter outside for several months. Is there a better way to store them in a refrigerator, so I could breed a bunch all in one go and still keep the pupae viable longer? Higher humidity maybe?

Thanks,

Vincent

That is a good question, I guess if u take some potting soil and plant them in it, than put in freezer, why wouldn't they overwinter?
Because the low temp would kill them! They overwinter in barns, outhouses, homes, in some cases.

I am now breeding blue bottles on a continuous basis. If you are actually going to breed, them, what are you going to use as an egg laying substrate? I refrigerate the pupae for up to two weeks and get a good yield. I would suggest that you get a lot of pupae and put them in maybe a dozen containers and open one every two weeks. That way, you will be the expert and can tell us!

Well I read they overwinter in the ground Phil, so they freeze?
Yeah, but i understand that they choose spots that don't freeze, BUT, wanna pop a few in the freezer for a month and see what happens?
rolleyes.gif

I do have my bug fridge, so It would be ok, only got some dead frozen bugs in there and lots of cold packs, and u know me, come time to remove them, I will wonder why I put them there? :rolleyes:

Well around here the ground rarely freezes more than a couple inches down, so I'm sure they've got plenty of places to go either way. I think I will go ahead and try like that.

And I had already decided to use the dog food based formula you've posted previously, Phil. Thanks for that. (I think it was you, need to go look it up again.)

Latest posts