Oxyopsis gracilis - CRAZY COLORS!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
I never imagined this species would be so colorful. I've never seen such variation of color and patterns in a species. All these nymphs are from the same pair and all around the same instar so I don't know what accounts for such a wide range of difference.

Is there any other species that turns a vivid red like this???

Oxy A

OxyA_0026-sm.jpg

OxyA_0021-sm.jpg

OxyA_0041-sm.jpg

OxyA_0037-sm.jpg

OxyA_0035-sm.jpg

Oxy B

OxyB_0063-sm.jpg

OxyB_0067-sm.jpg

OxyB_0044-sm.jpg

OxyB_0048-sm.jpg

OxyB_0049-sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now THOSE are some cool color combos! I love the blue under Oxy F's abdomen. The dark red Oxy D is pretty cool too.

Incredible photos to show why this species is so special. Thanks for sharing!

Do these colors ever remain as adult?
No, unfortunately the animals will go a more or less solid colour.

That being said that solid colour varies. You may end up with a red, yellow-like, green, or almost turquoise female specimen.

-Dayyan

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - what incredible colors! It's a rainbow of mantids. I especially like Oxy F :)
They are a great species, communal, colorful and friendly, yet every year hardly anyone buys them. I keep the culture going just for myself.

Amazing pics. I'm experiencing the same with the Oxys from the ooth that I got from you. Lots of cool colors but I haven't bought a macro lens to shoot them with.

All mine are green, but I still think they look amazing. The reddish brown bands of color create some nice contrast to the bright green of the rest of their bodies.

Latest posts